Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer Temperatures High  (Read 3023 times)

W

Topic Starter

Starter

Computer Temperatures High
    « on: October 30, 2008, 06:47:25 PM »
    Here's the problem...  I decided to overclock my Geforce 6200 video card.  After tweaking, my computer started freezing constantly (games, movies, running programs).  The screen would also turn black for about 6 seconds and come back on.  The screen would also turn really bright colors.  I uninstalled everything that had to do with tweaking.  But the problems persist.  Here's a http://img263.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ssvv3.jpgreading of my computer temperature with SpeedFan.

I did a desperate thing and removed my floppy drive from my computer.  I am just trying to cool it down... When opened, i tried to air out my computer a little. I started up my computer and in SpeedFan, the temperatures of the GPU and Core remain the same.

So my questions:
    1. My other computer's temperatures are around 10-30. Is it possible to take a fan out, and put it in my current one with the problems? I don't know what a computer fan looks like so if possible, is there a guide, and is it somewhat easy?
    2. Can i just install another firmware for my Geforce 6200 to fix the problems?
    3. If needed, which fan is compatible with a Pentium 4 for $20-

Thanks a lot. :)

Thanks

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Computer Temperatures High
    « Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 07:02:23 PM »
    what programs did you use for tweaking? did you reset these programs back to defaults BEFORE uninstalling them?

The turning black- that was your graphics driver crashing HARD- thankfully it recovered most of the time.

from the sounds of things, you might have permanently damaged your graphics card. If the sensor is damaged as well, it's possible it is reading temperatures that are higher then their actual temperature.

It's possible, but probably not a good idea- especially with OEM cases where fans are placed in specific configurations to optimize cooling.

Firmware, (or more precisely, the Video BIOS) as far as I'm concerned, should NEVER be flashed, except in special circumstances- your card appears to be a write-off at this point, but a video BIOS flash should only be performed as a last ditch effort.

since your obviously having a little heat problem (the CPU is 59, which isn't terrible, but lower is always better).

have you cleaned out any dust on heatsinks?

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

W

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 08:45:13 PM »
      Ok, i used RivaTuner, Nvidia Performance, and AtiTools(didn't change settings, just scanned for artifacts).  I'll try installing the programs and reset the settings to default.

Also, i will try and use the on board graphics instead of the card to see if there's a difference.

Yeah, i have an OEM case i think.  I bought the computer a long time ago from a store and have only added ram and a graphics card since.

Could there be any relationship between failed overclocking and heat issues?

I haven't yet tried cleaning the heatsinks.  Is there an easy way to clean it?
      If i reformat my computer, it probably would not solve the graphics card's problems, right?

Thanks a lot.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 09:12:22 PM »
      Your said:
      Could there be any relationship between failed overclocking and heat issues?
      Yes, that is why the maker does not recommend overclocking!

Eg0Death

Apprentice

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 07:09:25 AM »
        overclock = increased heat
        If it's running faster, it's gonna get hotter.
        Why is this thus?  What is the reason for this thusness?

killerb255

Adviser
          « Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 08:12:39 AM »
          If you want to overclock, you'll need to buy an aftermarket cooler to avoid damages...
          Quote from: talontromper
          Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 08:27:04 AM »
          An aftermarket cooler is no guarantee damage will not occur...just check the Overclockers Forums for proof...
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

killerb255

Adviser
            « Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 08:34:24 AM »
            Okay, let me rephrase that:

"If you want to overclock, you'll need to buy a good aftermarket cooler and monitor your temperatures closely to reduce the chances of damage."

How's that? :)
            Quote from: talontromper
            Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 08:50:43 AM »
            Much more concise...Thanx.

;)

Eg0Death

Apprentice

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 09:59:22 AM »
              Actually, his first post was more concise.  The second is more correct.  ;D
              Why is this thus?  What is the reason for this thusness?

W

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 01:33:57 PM »
                Ok thanks for the help everyone.

Before i try anything else, i would like to add a fan from my other computer into my current one.  The other pc is a Celeron, and the temperatures are all very low.  So could i just take out a fan?  Does it matter if it's a rear, or front fan?

Oh yeah, can i just take my electric air pump and blow air into my computer to clean it out?  Or will it damage it even if i am far away?
                « Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 06:18:23 PM by W »

patio

• Genius
                • Maud' Dib
                  • Yes
                « Reply #11 on: October 31, 2008, 11:20:12 PM »
                Actually, his first post was more concise.  The second is more correct.  ;D

I thought concise = more info...less words.