Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Restart and Shutdown problems  (Read 14336 times)

BlakCass

Topic Starter

Rookie

Restart and Shutdown problems
    « on: November 01, 2008, 09:49:10 AM »
    I hope that this is in the right forum. I just re-installed Windows XP on my computer and there are no problems with surfing the internet or downloading programs. The problem is that when it's time to restart the computer, the computer is unresponsive. When I try to shut down, the computer does not perform that function either. I have to manually press the power button to get the computer to shut down. Can anybody tell me what my problem is?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Restart and Shutdown problems
    « Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 09:58:38 AM »
    Were all your Drivers (especially MBoard ) re-installed after the wipe ? ?
    Have you installed any of the Service Packs yet ? ?

Missing either of these could cause the symptoms you described...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BlakCass

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 10:09:12 AM »
      Thanks for the response, patio. I have installed all drivers and even went to the compaq site to update a few. I don't know what the problem could be.

BlakCass

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 10:17:40 AM »
        I forgot to mention, I tried to install the update that is required prior to installing SP3, but it said that my "system does not meet minimum requirements". I check the requirements and I do. I have a presario computer and an AMD processor. The third requirement was to have the upgrade before the actual SP3. I can't download the requirement because of the previously mentioned error message.

BlakCass

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008, 09:04:32 PM »
          Can anybody help me? I have all drivers installed and SP2. I can't upgrade to SP3 because I can't download the patch for SP3. It says my computer doesn't meet minimum requirements (although it does). And I still can't shut down, or turn off my computer without manually pressing the power button. I will wait a few more days for help and will try to repost this question in another forum if necessary. Thanks, in advance, to anyone who can help me out with this.

Broni

Mastermind
          • Kraków my love :)
            • Computer Help Forum
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #5 on: November 02, 2008, 09:32:25 PM »
          Don't worry about SP3 for now. It's not crucial, and on a top of it, no new service pack should be installed, if computer doesn't function properly.

1. Post some computer info: processor type, amount of RAM, hard drive size/free space.

2. Download HijackThis:
          http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/tools/security_tools/hijackthis/download
          Click on Download HijackThis Installer
          Post HijackTHis log.

asivakumar

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2008, 10:10:29 PM »
            Please check your windows task manager

your system restart or shutown time

checking clt+alt+delete ( windows task manager)

1. applications runing
             2. processes cpu value 100% (end process)
             3. performance normal (35 -50)

BlakCass

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2008, 10:16:06 PM »
              Here is my HijackThis file:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
              Scan saved at 12:14:18 AM, on 11/3/2008
              Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
              MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.5730.0013)
              Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
              C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
              C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe
              C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
              C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
              C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
              C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
              C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
              C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
              C:\Program Files\iolo\common\lib\ioloServiceManager.exe
              C:\WINDOWS\System32\alg.exe
              C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
              C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveMonitor.exe
              C:\Program Files\iolo\System Mechanic Professional\Personal Firewall\ioloFW.exe
              C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
              C:\Program Files\iolo\System Mechanic Professional\AntiVirus\iAVEmailScanner.exe
              C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
              C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
              C:\Documents and Settings\Bobby Willis\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\VATJ0C2L\HiJackThis[1].exe
              C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\wmiprvse.exe

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
              R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
              R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
              R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
              R3 - URLSearchHook: Foxit Toolbar - {73c7d5b0-7b03-444a-84c7-ce1ba03b5573} - C:\Program Files\Foxit\tbFoxi.dll
              O2 - BHO: Groove GFS Browser Helper - {72853161-30C5-4D22-B7F9-0BBC1D38A37E} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\GRA8E1~1.DLL
              O2 - BHO: Foxit Toolbar - {73c7d5b0-7b03-444a-84c7-ce1ba03b5573} - C:\Program Files\Foxit\tbFoxi.dll
              O3 - Toolbar: Foxit Toolbar - {73c7d5b0-7b03-444a-84c7-ce1ba03b5573} - C:\Program Files\Foxit\tbFoxi.dll
              O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iolo AntiVirus] "C:\Program Files\iolo\System Mechanic Professional\AntiVirus\ioloAV.exe"
              O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [GrooveMonitor] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveMonitor.exe"
              O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AlcxMonitor] ALCXMNTR.EXE
              O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iolo Personal Firewall] "C:\Program Files\iolo\System Mechanic Professional\Personal Firewall\ioloFW.exe"
              O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
              O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\EXCEL.EXE/3000
              O9 - Extra button: Send to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
              O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: S&end to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
              O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL
              O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
              O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
              O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
              O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
              O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\program files\iolo\common\firewall\ifw_xfilter.dll
              O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\program files\iolo\common\firewall\ifw_xfilter.dll
              O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://fpdownload2.macromedia.com/get/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab
              O18 - Protocol: grooveLocalGWS - {88FED34C-F0CA-4636-A375-3CB6248B04CD} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\GR99D3~1.DLL
              O23 - Service: DvpApi (dvpapi) - Authentium, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Authentium\AntiVirus\dvpapi.exe
              O23 - Service: iolo FileInfoList Service (ioloFileInfoList) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\iolo\common\lib\ioloServiceManager.exe
              O23 - Service: iolo System Service (ioloSystemService) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\iolo\common\lib\ioloServiceManager.exe

--
              End of file - 4633 bytes

Broni

Mastermind
                • Computer Help Forum
              « Reply #8 on: November 02, 2008, 10:19:08 PM »
              1. Post some computer info: processor type, amount of RAM, hard drive size/free space.

BlakCass

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2008, 10:21:15 PM »
                asivakumar, I checked the task manager. I did not see anything that said system shutdown or restart. I am a novice, so if there is a substitute name for each of those, please let me know what they are so I can check their cpu values. Also, when I checked the performance, I was just as lost. Am I to guess the percentage by looking at the EKG-looking lines or does it say on the performance (if so, mine does not)?

BlakCass

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2008, 10:24:34 PM »
                  Broni, my computer is AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2000+ (I'm running Windows XP). It has 736 MB of RAM (1GB), and the hard drive is 1.67 GHz. Does this satisfy your question or do I need to produce more info?

Broni

Mastermind
                    • Computer Help Forum
                  « Reply #11 on: November 02, 2008, 10:30:40 PM »
                  First of all, you didn't follow my instructions about installing HJT.
                  It can't be run from some C:\Documents and Settings\Bobby Willis\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\VATJ0C2L directory, but it must be installed in its own folder.
                  Reinstall, following instructions from my reply #5.

Secondly, you're running IOLO antivirus, and IOLO firewall, but I can see some leftovers from Authentium's Command
                  Antivirus
                  , which probably came from your ISP.

Go Start<Run, and type in:
                  cmd
                  Click OK.
                  At Command Prompt, type in:
                  sc stop dvpapi
                  Hit Enter.
                  Type in:
                  sc delete dvpapi
                  Hit Enter.

Restart computer.
                  Post new HJT log.

Broni

Mastermind
                    • Computer Help Forum
                  « Reply #12 on: November 02, 2008, 10:34:36 PM »
                  and the hard drive is 1.67 GHz
                  This is not correct number.
                  Open "My Computer", right click on C drive, click "Properties", and tell me what it says about "used space", and "free space".

BlakCass

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2008, 10:36:56 PM »
                    Broni, I apologize for getting it wrong, but your instructions only said to download Hijackthis and post the files. In addition, I actually copied the file direct from the results box. I only saved it to my desktop after I had copied and pasted the file to the board. I am in the process of trying again. Bear with me.

Broni

Mastermind
                      • Computer Help Forum
                    « Reply #14 on: November 02, 2008, 10:38:51 PM »
                    Not a problem. When you run HJT installer, it'll install HJT in C:\TrendMicro\HijackThis folder.