Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: What ever happened to A.I.?  (Read 2270 times)

hiloed

Topic Starter

Beginner

What ever happened to A.I.?
    « on: November 02, 2008, 10:23:10 PM »

It was supposed to make a computer learn from it's mistakes and make corrections automatically.
    I'm an old f---t and began an interest in computers awhile back. My first computer was a Commodore. I've never bought a new one since.I have always built or repaired one someone was going to throw away or was given to me. Somewhat like buying a new car. When a new model came out I always waited a year or so to see how they did before buying one. (work out the bugs).

My grandson gave me a brand new laptop recently, first new one I ever had. I must say some bugs, many bugs, have been worked out and so much new stuff. It's amazing.

But I guess my question is when will Microsoft get their O.S  right and will anybody's O.S. achieve perfection? Linux which I have on one of my five computer, seems to be getting closer, but they both have along way to go. Your frank opinions would be appreciated. Don't worry I have a thick skin.

Aloha,

Ed

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: What ever happened to A.I.?
    « Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 10:45:16 PM »
    the problem with using any form of A.I in the standard OS would be inconsistency. Just look at the programs that reorganize menus based on their usage... It just confuses people.

The idea is to allow for the OS to be customized, but none of the customization should be automatic...

Operating Systems will never be perfect because they are crafted by imperfect beings. Regardless of the effort put into it- it will still be an asymptotic approach to perfection.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

hiloed

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 11:23:41 PM »

B.C.Programmer,

Thanks for you reply sir and I see your point. I suppose I'm asking for a little too much. Perfection may have been the wrong word. However I would like to see an O.S. that is less bug ridden and you wouldn't have to buy a later or a new and improved addition to correct the one you have. I would like to see much more improvement before I leave this world.

Aloha and Mahlo,

Ed

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
        • Yes
        • Technology News and Information
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 07:01:28 PM »
      Most bug-free Operating System I have used is Windows 3.11, and if it crashes, you just press CTRL+ALT+DEL and it would tell you the problem and then you would simply press ENTER to fix it.

Linux, I would call it FAR From bug free. I dont use the Desktop Linux distributions for a good reason, I've never gotten along with them, and advanced configuration is a pain.

I've always stuck with Windows since it can do what I need it to do, unlike Mac or Linux. I can use the programs that I want to use, and I can configure it the way I want.

Bug wise, you have to consider:
      Often its not bugs in the operating system, its a bug in the program you are trying to run in the operating system.
      One thing I liked about DOS is you only run one thing at once, and it runs in its own little environment, and it has no conflict with the OS since DOS was so defined and it never had problems with other programs either.