Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Quantum of Solace video game  (Read 5645 times)

mcxeb52!

Quantum of Solace video game
« on: November 07, 2008, 03:54:26 PM »
I was playing quantum of solace on my computer (see sig below for computer specs) and there seems to be a problem.

I don't htink it's game problem itself BUT when there's a lot of movement,  for example like when you're shooting and all of a sudden a bomb hits and the screen shakes as expected ....

I play the game for about 20 minutes and I usually feel sick or have headache or something afterward. What's the deal? I don't feel that way when I play Age of Empires 3...

I wonder if I should upgrade my PC or something to make gameplay more smoother and me less sick.

---

It's like trying to watch a youtube video in full screen on my dad's old  year old dell P3 desktop with Geforce FX5200 graphics on 512 mb memory and windows 2000....
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 11:09:48 PM by mcxeb52! »

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Quantum of Solace video game
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 08:06:55 PM »
If I'm correct, Age of Empires is an RTS and Quantum of Solace is an FPS.

There are a few reasons why you may feel sick.
1. You may have motion sickness which is the most common reason as to why you may feel sick when playing First Person Shooters, specially a game that shakes your screen as well.
2. (not so sure about this one) The monitor's refresh rate and the type of monitor you're playing on (size and type).
3. You're playing either too far or too close to the screen.
4. You're playing in a room with uneven or not enough lighting.

I know I get pretty dizzy if I play an FPS game late early in the morning.

mcxeb52!

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 10:07:51 PM »
I have a 22 inch LCD and I don't know if I should change the brightness settings or not. It's at default.

I have played the FPS Battlefield 2 before without the problems I experience now.

Refresh rate of screen should be default, I have not changed any of that.

I played usually in afternoon with blinds open so it's nice and bright.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 10:56:57 PM »
Hmmm...

It's like trying to watch a youtube video in full screen on my dad's old  year old dell
Do you feel sick when doing this?

mcxeb52!

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 11:15:24 PM »
Well, on my dad's old P3 dell which is about 9 years old, the only reason I'd be sick is if I use full screen mode and the video is really choppy or if I use the computer for 3 hrs straight. But the hardware's old and it has a CRT monitor so that explains what's going on.

My newer PC, I don't get that feeling when just watching a regular video unless I do just use my computer for too long but I was only playing the FPS game for about 20 minutes and at most 1 hour before I shut down the studio.

reddevilggg

Expert

• Experience: Beginner
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2008, 04:47:37 PM »
When Perfect Dark came out on the N64 a friend of mine could not play for more than 15 - 20 minutes because he said it made him sea sick. The first time he played it he actually threw up.

I suppose some people react with differently with certain games, i dunno really.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 01:42:51 PM by reddevilggg »
11 cheers for binary !

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2008, 07:38:33 PM »
High Detailed First Person games often make people dizzy, especially if they have motion sickness.

kianaruiz

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 12:37:37 AM »
    Try a different resolution. Maybe your video mode is the one causing it.  Just play the game as often as you can, as you can see your body will adapt to any situation as you are exposed to it often.
    TR Vidcom Computer and Audio Visual Equipments

reddevilggg

Expert

• Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 01:15:53 AM »
    Try a different resolution. Maybe your video mode is the one causing it.  Just play the game as often as you can, as you can see your body will adapt to any situation as you are exposed to it often.

mmmm....except if your a epileptic, suffer from motion sickness, expose yourself to sun when you have skin cancer in the hope that your body will adapt..........mmmmmm

Telling someone to play it more when its making them ill, might not be medically sound!

Is there any scientific proof to what you say (when considering games) or is this your opinion.

11 cheers for binary !