Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: which is better for ram configurations? dual channel or more memory?  (Read 2378 times)

mcxeb52!

What's better? Dual channel configuration or more memory?

I have 1gb of DDR memory in my system at single channel configuration. I have now a 2 new 1gb memory sticks that I have which is in a dual channel kit.

The 1gb is via 1x512, 2x256 sticks. What configuration makes most use of the memory sticks now, given I have 4 memory stick slots and I'm not using 1 of the 256 sticks, which is PC2700 while all other memory is PC3200.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: which is better for ram configurations? dual channel or more memory?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 02:55:58 AM »
More RAM is better than less in dual channel mode, there's very little real world performance to be had from dual channel.
For your configuration, use 2x1Gb sticks, 1 512MB and 1 256MB, for a total of 2.75GB.
Use the PC3200 RAM too, although it's still unlikely to make much of a noticeable difference between PC2700 and 3200.

Hope this helps.

mcxeb52!

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 10:25:32 AM »
Ok so the conclusion is .... no dual channel setup, unless I get a 512 memory stick to make a 3 gb dual channel.l

I was told PC3200 makes difference over PC2700 is more memory intensive computer usage such as playing some computer games or doing some other heavier duty work.

Lastly, The 2gb Corsair, the 512mb Edge Tech and the 256mb infineon memories should live happily together in my system? They're all different brands, though big name brands and I heard it's not too good to mix and match too many different memories' brands.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 10:41:22 AM »
It should be OK to mix different manufacturers.
The small difference in speed between PC2700 and 3200 really won't be noticeable.  In some benchmarks there will be a small difference, but in the real world it won't matter.