Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: invalid system disk  (Read 2967 times)

serena seyler

invalid system disk
« on: March 26, 2005, 02:33:24 PM »
Hi, I am in desparate need of some help here. I am working on a networking project for school, and I am trying to get some computers up and running. I am working on a Gateway 2000 MMX P2 233 Mhz computer. I keep getting the error: Invalid System Disk. Sometimes the cd-rom would not open or respond also.  I get this error with the cd-rom, floppy, and the hard drive.

First: I swapped out the cd-rom for a known working one, same error occurred except now I got neverending gibberish going down the page with a a whole bunch of beeps. When I would pause the screen, I was able to see Invalid System disk. Next, swapped out the IDE cable for a new one, same result.

Second, swapped out the hard drive for a working one. Same problem.
What is going on? Is this a power supply problem, a motherboard problem, help help help..... ???

???

merlin_2

Re: invalid system disk
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2005, 02:36:18 PM »

riddles4gollum

Re: invalid system disk
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2005, 06:42:52 PM »
I tried all of that. I changed the CMOS settings to change which device I boot from first. I made sure there was no floppy in the a: drive. There were no files on the hard drive when I got the computer. I swapped out the hard drive and go the same error. It doesn't matter if it is the floppy, cd-rom, or hard drive, I get the same error.

I have swapped out the cd-rom and cable, the hard drive and cable, not the floppy yet. I also haven't swapped out the power supply yet. The other one that I have won't fit in the case quite right. Before I swapped out the first cd-rom, I noticed that sometimes it was not responsive, so I wonder if it could be a power problem. Anyway, thanks for the advice, but it didn't work. Any more suggestions???  ???