Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Losing connection to wireless  (Read 13469 times)

miatabert

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: Losing connection to wireless
    « Reply #15 on: November 23, 2008, 06:11:32 PM »
    Well I unhooked the computer and moved it with the wireless adaptor to my sons room. Signal is now excellent, it connects and works fine.

So what caused the change in reception in my living room. It has been there for 6 to 8 years now on the wireless.

Is my router dying?

Should I get a repeater and put it in the system to get a stronger signal in the living room. This might also help me in my detached shop connect with my laptop anyhow.

Thanks for the help this last week. I just don't understand what causes things to change in the middle of the game.

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
      • Yes
      • Technology News and Information
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #16 on: November 23, 2008, 06:48:11 PM »
    Copy/pasting myself again:

Is it possible for you to change the channel that the router broadcasts on? It should be in the Wireless setup of your router. Try a few different ones, if there is a router nearby that is on the same channel or other wireless devices like Phones near they may cause interference.

miatabert

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2008, 06:50:36 PM »
      was on 6 forever. Tried 7, 8,  &10 earlier today. No results

Also had read some post on the web about people having problems after installing XP SP3 so I removed it with no luck either.

Anybody have experience with hi gain antennas? A repeater doesn't appear to be the way to go from what I can read.
      « Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 08:39:07 PM by miatabert »

lostcoast

Hopeful
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #18 on: November 24, 2008, 07:50:31 AM »
      I feel a solution is to buy a new high end wireless router with improved signal capabilities.  You can always return it if you felt it didnt solve the problem.

I will bet that will fix it ..trust me
      I am  Moderator of Computerhope Chat, for live help and assistance please use/click Free Help in the upper forum toolbar.

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
        • Yes
      « Reply #19 on: November 24, 2008, 01:01:17 PM »
      Was this a Belkin router, or am I thinking of another post?
      Belkin routers dont work very well at all for wireless functions. Look into Netgear or Linksys.

Costco usually has good router sales, however, sometimes they only sell gaming grade routers, which are very expensive. If you happen to have a Costco card, take a look.

Take a look at Newegg as well:
      http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=Routers

Safety_First

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2008, 01:54:29 PM »
      What are you using to connect wirelessly? The default XP program or software that came with the router?

miatabert

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2008, 07:02:22 PM »
        Linksys router all wireless adaptors that I have added to computers are Linksys as well. . Again it is 6 to 8 years old so may be just be going away. I use the XP softare to connect. I tried the software that came with my wireless adaptor after this issue started. It didn't work either. No Costco here but may look at Sam's. Linksys still a good choice?

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
          • Yes
        « Reply #22 on: November 24, 2008, 08:02:12 PM »
        Definitely.
        Being as I have worked with more Netgear routers, I prefer them, however, Linksys is the next thing on the list.

lostcoast

Hopeful
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #23 on: November 24, 2008, 09:06:05 PM »
        Linksys is the one I would avoid, its what gave me problems and I went to Netgear and it has worked perfect so far.

I also had a linksis notebook card that gave me *censored* and I bought netgear to replace it and also has worked without any problems.
        I am  Moderator of Computerhope Chat, for live help and assistance please use/click Free Help in the upper forum toolbar.

miatabert

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2008, 08:31:18 PM »
          got a new Netgear router going today. Everything working correctly again. Guess the old Linksys was just getting weak. Thanks for the help guys.

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
            • Yes
          « Reply #25 on: November 26, 2008, 09:47:45 PM »
          Great to hear you resolved the issue. Feel free to start another post if you have any more questions, or come up with another problem

- Jesse Zylstra