Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Lost A:/ PROMPT  (Read 2744 times)

plonker

Lost A:/ PROMPT
« on: March 30, 2005, 06:07:16 AM »
While using FDISK to delete a particion and re-install W98 I have lost everything. How do I retrieve the
A:/PROMPT.

Corrosive

Re: Lost A:/ PROMPT
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2005, 02:37:43 PM »
Not wonderfully sure about this, but here goes anyway.

By using FDISK, you have wiped everything on the drive - I assume you knew that beforehand and meant to do it or accidently put the wrong parameters in. That includes the bit which provides the DOS prompt.

What I hope you have done is made a boot floppy, which contains the bare bones of DOS, which is normally enough to get you going again in cases of emergency.

Or, if you have the Windows disks handy, you could just reinstall. Which you'll need to do anyway - or at least just install an operating system. Remember to go into the BIOS and set the boot order appropriately.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2005, 02:44:37 PM »
    plonker.......With your win98boot disk in the floppy drive ....simply reboot ........and if your boot disk isnt bad ...you should have your A: prompt back .....

let us know

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

plonker

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2005, 01:23:50 AM »
    Hi Many thanks for the help. I have entered set up and the floppy drive is first in the list. The CD player is un-detected. I have re-started the machine with the start up disk in. The floppy drive goes through the motions and when it stops the A:/PROMPT does not appear.

I have tried two other start up disks with the same result. Regards Plonker.