Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Unusual Wireless Issue  (Read 3839 times)

Saeixon

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Unusual Wireless Issue
    « on: December 02, 2008, 05:41:50 PM »
    Alright for background: I have an SB4100 surfboard cable modem (for a home network) linked to a 8port hardwired linksys router, port 1of8 was going into a a Belkin Pre N. This setup has been working fine the last 3 years... until the last month the wireless signal would drop, now its down permanently and failing to resolve an IP or DNS address from the 8 port linksys to the Belkin.

Now I should note throughout my trouble shooting we have 8 systems attached to the network, so I attempted to do the next bit of tests on 3 of those systems, AV's and Firewalls all disabled. Now I know about the interference from wireless devices in the 2-5ghz spectrum, no new devices were purchased since this started happening, and I have tried this on every channel 1-11... as well as testing everything and automatic and no encryption,  mixed mode off, G only.

I have since used a backup netgear portable router and a WRT54GL linksys in place of the Belkin. Both fail just the same to find an address, however I can successfully connect to the router (wired and wireless) through the address bar. I have since tested both routers at my work, both work flawlessly.

I bring the two routers home thinking a faulty RJ45 cable, used a new one... nothing changed. I then restored every piece of equipment to factory defaults... nothing changed. Thinking it was then the 8 port linksys behind the router (even though systems wired to it were still connecting fine...) I ran a line directly from the cable modem to the newly purchased WRT54GL, and also with the older netgear... still no ip/dns address being found, tracert/ping all fail.

Having a spare surfboard modem I thought well surely it must be the cable modem... and hooked up the spare, however the same exact issue is happening. Now heres the weird part, I busted out an old wired netgear router... it splits the signal fine to any system I want and I can connect. This only seems to happen when I attach a wireless router to any part of the network.

To humor myself further I logged into the cable modem to check the status on the signal... the downstream power level and signal to noise ratio all seem within acceptable ranges; I'll post them here for further review.

Downstream:     Value:

Frequency:     591000000 Hz Locked
    Signal to Noise Ratio:    37 dB
    Power Level:    -4 dBmV

Upstream:    Value:
    Channel ID    5
    Frequency    30000273 Hz Ranged
    Power Level    47 dBmV

This is all on Comcast, if anyone has any ideas about whats going on... I would appreciate it.
    « Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 07:33:54 PM by Saeixon »

fgdn17

Hopeful

Re: Unusual Wireless Issue
      « Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 07:25:45 PM »
      "I have since tested both routers at my work, both work flawlessly."

so both routers wireless work correctly with systems where you work????

"however I can successfully connect to the router (wired and wireless) through the address bar"

can you explain this exactly as I'm not quite sure what your saying here...

Saeixon

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 07:27:03 PM »
        This issue is with my home network... I tested the routers out at my office.

fgdn17

Hopeful

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 07:28:53 PM »
          This issue is with my home network... I tested the routers out at my office.

understand that but you didn't answer the question I was interested in...did
          the wireless of both routers work correctly with wireless systems at your office??

Saeixon

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 07:29:26 PM »
            absolutely

fgdn17

Hopeful

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 07:34:01 PM »
              just for grins and giggles...try this:

http://majorgeeks.com/download4372.html

Saeixon

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 07:40:36 PM »
                tcp/ip stack isn't the issue (and this fix is golden too, I've used it for years) As a background I've got my A+, worked for HP, and do this sort of thing for a living. I've hooked up hundreds of networks, and I have never seen one perform like this (ever) in the 5 years I've been a tech.

But as stated earlier I used three test systems. M1210N (Windows XP), a Macbook (OSX Obviously), and a custom built desktop (Ubuntu 8.04 with KDE), all 3 systems cannot wirelessly connect.
                « Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 08:03:54 PM by Saeixon »

fgdn17

Hopeful

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 07:43:36 PM »
                  have you taken it to a single system and given it a forced ip(from the router range)
                  for wireless to see if it works??

Saeixon

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 07:46:01 PM »
                    just set a static IP, still doesn't recognize the wireless routers. Wired ones still work fine... what I don't understand is why this is happening on two different cable modems with two fully functional wireless routers.

fgdn17

Hopeful

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 07:48:19 PM »
                      As a background I've got my A+, worked for HP, and do this sort of thing for a living.

oh no....they bought us out...was with DEC, 30+, then bought out by Compaq, they by HP..and took the buyout...with 35+years and being 57....

memories..LOL

fgdn17

Hopeful

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2008, 07:49:42 PM »
                        just set a static IP, still doesn't recognize the wireless routers. Wired ones still work fine... what I don't understand is why this is happening on two different cable modems with two fully functional wireless routers.

very strange...you have removed all your wireless cells/etc. from the house as a test also right!!?

moved setup to another room farthest from the one your in and tried it???

Saeixon

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2008, 07:51:00 PM »
                          Haha, sorry to hear that. I ended up leaving after I was basically told by boss to ship out refurbished units as new (theres a few class action lawsuits over it).

There were several times we performed initial service for a customer... I opened up the factory sealed box, and it was filled with someones data (usually from Europe and India).

/Edit: I'm the only one with a smart phone (samsung I760) the radio is currently off, but I've been using it well before this problem started.

fgdn17

Hopeful

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2008, 07:53:01 PM »
                            Haha, sorry to hear that. I ended up leaving after I was basically told by boss to ship out refurbished units as new (theres a few class action lawsuits over it).

There were several times we performed initial service for a customer... I opened up the factory sealed box, and it was filled with someones data (usually from Europe and India).

Hey it was fine, they were starting to use contractors to do all our work anyway so handwriting was on the wall...had a good career there...many good experiences....

fgdn17

Hopeful

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2008, 07:55:20 PM »
                              do you even get a ssid broadcast??

anyway sorry couldn't help..BUT am curious...click on my
                              name and email me when you get solution...cause curiosity never dies...LOL

Saeixon

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2008, 07:57:24 PM »
                                Yep, like I said... I can connect wired & wireless to the routers 192.168.1.1, 192.168.10.1 ect. Within the routers under status/signal it reads the host as 0.0.0.0, release/renew/flush diagnostics do nothing.

Also switched it upstairs, no difference.