Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need help setting upIDE ribbons for hardware installation  (Read 17814 times)

scadgirl007

Topic Starter

Rookie
    Need help setting upIDE ribbons for hardware installation
    « on: November 23, 2008, 03:45:02 PM »
    I have a general question. Is it possible to have both HDs connected on the same IDE cable?
    The BIOS is set to auto detect, and is able to recognize the optical drives but not the HDs.  ??? Is there anything I can do to fix this?

I looked up an article about IDE devices: http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000695.htm

Hopefully the following setup explanation isn't too confusing:

1. My computer was custom-built in 2003.  The prices are now low enough to get some upgrades, so that's what I've been doing.  The computer originally was installed with 1x40Gb HD, 1x 80GB HD, and 1xCD-burner.  I purchased a DVD-burner to install.
    2. I switched out the currently installed optical drive for a newer drive (CD vs. DVD).  I then placed the CD-drive in a different spot.

3a. The IDE-1 ribbon had the OS HD and the optical drive.  The IDE-2 has the slave HD.  The cord was longer for the IDE-2, so I switched them around
    3b. IDE-1 has the hard drives, IDE-2 has the optical drives.  The pin on the HD with the OS is marked "M" and the pin on the secondary drive is marked "S". Both optical drives are set to "S" (I know it might not be "S," but I looked up which one it needs to be set to for the slave.

5.  All of the drives are plugged in appropriately (power, IDE).  
    « Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 05:24:59 PM by scadgirl007 »

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Need help setting upIDE ribbons for hardware installation
    « Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 04:26:12 PM »
    You did a very good job of describing your setup...
    IDE 0 = Boot drive master
    2nd hard drive = slave

IDE1 Burner1 = master
    Burner2 = slave.

Sometimes the BIOS gets confused when making more than one change at a time... so set it up as you like and re-boot a few times between changes.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

scadgirl007

Topic Starter

Rookie
      « Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 04:34:11 PM »
      You did a very good job of describing your setup...
      IDE 0 = Boot drive master
      2nd hard drive = slave

IDE1 Burner1 = master
      Burner2 = slave.

Sometimes the BIOS gets confused when making more than one change at a time... so set it up as you like and re-boot a few times between changes.

Thanks for the help!  One question, could any of the problem be that the optical drives are both set to Slave?  Also, when you say to reboot a few times, does that mean if the BIOS doesn't detect the drives the first time it sets up, try it a couple of more times?

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 04:40:06 PM »
      Yes to both...
      You need to set one of the opticals to master...this is probably where the errors are coming from.

Also the ribbon cable assignment although not crucial in all setups should be this:

II______________________________II_____ _____II

MBoard                                               Slave              Master.

scadgirl007

Topic Starter

Rookie
        « Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 04:47:00 PM »
        OKAY!  I originally had the HDs setup on the ribbon the way you illustrated. When it didn't work, I switched them around.  I'll fix that and fix the pins on the optical drives.  Let you know how it goes!

scadgirl007

Topic Starter

Rookie
          « Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 05:43:35 PM »
          I double-checked the setup.  Everything is as it should be.  However, I am now getting an NTDLR error.

Do you know if it matters which XP disc I use?  My boyfriend lost my XP home disc when trying to do a dual-boot on his Mac.  He bought me XP Pro, but I never upgraded the desktop.  Should it be the same for both versions?

I really appreciate all of the help, Patio!
          « Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 05:26:34 PM by scadgirl007 »

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #6 on: November 23, 2008, 06:56:52 PM »
          Yes the version needs to match what's installed.
          PRO wont fix Home and vice-versa...
          Is there an operating system installed on the 2nd HDD ? ?
          If so temporarily disconnect it and the NTLDR error might go away so you can boot properly.
          If you have Home installed you will need a Home CD to repair...

scadgirl007

Topic Starter

Rookie
            « Reply #7 on: November 23, 2008, 07:00:46 PM »
            My uncle installed the HD for me.  I don't think that there is an operating system installed, just used for storage.

Is there any way to just download the files that I need?  I know that there are only two.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
            • Geek After Dark
              • Gekk9pm bnlog
            • Certifications: List
            • Computer: Specs
            • Experience: Expert
            « Reply #8 on: November 23, 2008, 08:14:35 PM »
            Each cable can have one master and one slave device. Be sure to check the pin settings on each HDD. In some cases they are near impossible to understand. And some older HDDs are not compatible with another brand on the sane cable. And you may have to tell the BIOS which HDD is the boot drive.Try to boot first with the drive you want as the system drive. Then power off and plug in the second drive again and see if it can remember which is the boot drive. Some BIOS do not always default to the primary master. The is a mystery beyond the minds of us mortals. 

JJ 3000

Egghead
            • Experience: Familiar
            « Reply #9 on: November 23, 2008, 11:45:49 PM »
            My uncle installed the HD for me.  I don't think that there is an operating system installed, just used for storage.

Is there any way to just download the files that I need?  I know that there are only two.
            What do you mean?
            Are you saying that there are two files on that hard drive that you want to recover?
            Do you want to install an operating system on the hard drive?
            Save a Life!
            Adopt a homeless pet.
            http://www.petfinder.com/

scadgirl007

Topic Starter

Rookie
              « Reply #10 on: November 24, 2008, 01:40:23 AM »
              Is there an operating system installed on the 2nd HDD ? ?
              JJ 3000, I was replying to that specific sentence.  Sorry for being so vague.  The 80gb HD is my slave drive and is used specifically for storage; my uncle installed it for me two years after to initial computer was put together.  It does not have an OS installed, nor do I believe it's necessary.  Also, the files that I am referring to are the NTDLR and NTDETECT.COM files.

I decided to upgrade my computer.  I had to move around some of the components inside the computer for the IDE ribbons to plug into both sets of hardware (2 HDs and 2 optical drives).  Both hard drives were installed and working prior to the adjustments, along with the CD burner. [Original setup: IDE-1= HD Master, Optical Slave, IDE-2=HD Slave] I merely wanted to add a DVD burner in addition to the CD burner.

It took a couple of restarts, but the BIOS now recognizes both HDs appropriately: 40GB as Master and 80GB as Slave.  However, the problem that I am now encountering when booting is the following error:
              NTLDR is missing
              Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

I've experienced this error previously on my laptop. (Please see post : http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,52510.0.html)  Yet the problem I encounter is time is as follows:
              1) I don't have the original install disc for my computer.  As mentioned earlier, it was lost by my boyfriend a while ago.  He bought me XP Pro (what I have on my laptop) as a replacement.  The only thing I have for the boot disc is a copy I made before it was lost.  I can't use the XP Pro installation discs for the two files because (I think) Patio mentioned that it will not be compatible with the XP Home Edition on my desktop.
              2)I enter the setup as instructed on the NTLDR article.  I enter the files names spelled correctly, unlike he first attempts of my last experience with this error.

3) I don't understand why I get the following error:
              I type: C:\WINDOWS>copy d:\i386\ntdlr c:\
              The response: Access is denied.

The computer will boot off off the OS copy with tremendous hassle and time investment. I have backed up all of the files. Since I have the official XP Pro discs for my laptop, I may resort to installing that instead of trying to recover my computer.

And for the gentle-user with the Toucan icon (After-9pm?), they are both Western Digital and have been installed with one another previously, although on seperate IDE cables.

P.S.
              If this makes any difference: my computer was not keeping time or personalization, so I replaced the CPU 3v battery along with the other hardware adjustments.  Although, it still appears to be losing time.
              « Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 05:30:08 PM by scadgirl007 »

scadgirl007

Topic Starter

Rookie
                « Reply #11 on: November 24, 2008, 02:15:07 AM »
                If this helps, the drives are arranged as follows:

A: 3 1/2 Floppy
                C: Local Disk/40Gb HD
                D: CD-R Drive
                E: Disk2_VOL1/80Gb HD
                F: DVD-R Drive
                G: WD My Book Essential, 250Gb External USB HD

JJ 3000

Egghead
                « Reply #12 on: November 24, 2008, 02:21:03 AM »

I decided to upgrade my computer.  I had to move around some of the components inside the computer for the IDE ribbons to plug into both sets of hardware (2 HDs and 2 optical drives).  Both hard drives were installed and working prior to the adjustments, along with the CD burner. [Original setup: IDE-1= HD Master, Optical Slave, IDE-2=HD Slave] I merely wanted to add a DVD burner in addition to the CD burner.

You know, most DVD burners will also burn CDs. If I were you I would go back to having the hard drives on seperate IDE cables, with the main hard drive on it's own cable and the slave on the secondary. You should just put the DVD burner in the slave position on the secondary IDE cable. Make sure you check your jumper settings.
                Save a Life!
                Adopt a homeless pet.

JJ 3000

Egghead
                « Reply #13 on: November 24, 2008, 02:28:13 AM »
                P.S.
                If this makes any difference: my computer was not keeping time or personalization, so I replaced the CPU 3v battery along with the other hardware adjustments.  Although, it still appears to be losing time.

Did you buy a NEW battery?
                Save a Life!
                Adopt a homeless pet.

scadgirl007

Topic Starter

Rookie
                  « Reply #14 on: November 24, 2008, 02:33:42 AM »
                  The original set up had the CD-Rom on the first IDE cable... Anyway, I chose to have both optical drives since I was once told by someone who owns a computer repair shop that DVD lasers wear out more quickly than CD lasers.

YES, I did purchase a NEW battery from Best Buy.  At least it should have been new; it was in an unopened package that says it doesn't expire until 2013 or 2014.  (Can't remember which!)

JJ, if I may ask, do you have experience with this NTLDR error?  From my previous experience, nothing will actually help until the damaged boot file is replaced with one that is not damaged.  I am now most specifically seeking help on how to fix the corrupted boot drive.  Although, I may try to reconfigure the hardware setup tomorrow when I am more refreshed.  I am now tired, weary, and likely to make costly mistakes.

Thanks!
                  « Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 05:31:27 PM by scadgirl007 »