Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need help setting upIDE ribbons for hardware installation  (Read 17426 times)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Need help setting upIDE ribbons for hardware installation
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2008, 07:26:54 AM »
Oh man! You are having a really hard time with your computer. Lets try this:

Boot to the windows CD and press R to load the recovery console. It will ask you which installation you want to repair. If there is only one type 1 and press enter. Then it will ask for a passsword. If there is no pasword just press enter. At this point you should see this prompt: C: \Windows>
We want to get to root directory here so type in CD\
Now you should just see a standard C prompt. Here type this:
Code: [Select]
copy d:\i386\ntldrthen type
Code: [Select]
copy d:\i386\ntdetect.com That code assumes that your CD drive is D if it is another letter substitute the CD drive's letter.
I hope this helps. If it doesn't, let us know.

Use the letter of your optical drive here, Scadgirl, since D: would refer to your second HD. recovery console only allows access to the root of the boot drive and the System folders.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

scadgirl007

Topic Starter

Rookie
    « Reply #31 on: November 25, 2008, 10:00:05 AM »
    Actually, you'll be surprised to know that D:/ is the CD-Burner.  No, really, it is!  My uncle was surprised this happened when he installed the second hard drive.  He warned me, "Your drive letters are going to change."  Then, the boot drive stayed the same, the CD-Burner stayed the same, and the new hard drive became E.  Don't know what happened but that's what did.

As you may have previously read, I can get the computer to boot with the CD in the drive but not without it.  I went into my computer to get the information listed in one of my earlier replies:
    A: 3 1/2 Floppy
    C: Local Disk/40Gb HD
    D: CD-R Drive
    E: Disk2_VOL1/80Gb HD
    F: DVD-R Drive
    G: WD My Book Essential, 250Gb External USB HD

Anyway, I tried to boot with the CD but this time it's entering the installation phase???  I guess I somehow initiated for a new install.  I don't care at this point.  I just want to be able to boot without the CD in the drive!  I have work this afternoon and will likely not be able to post back on what happens, so I'll let ya'll know tonight sometime after 7PM EST.

Still appreciate all of the suggestions! Thanks  :D

scadgirl007

Topic Starter

Rookie
      « Reply #32 on: November 25, 2008, 10:12:07 AM »
      I have a feeling that not all of the files made it to the disc when I made a backup copy.  :-\  It's having trouble finding the files it needs to install from the i386 folder.

Is there a way to scrap this installation of Home Edition and install Professional instead?  I still have the actual/genuine/authentic discs for that one...

UPDATE:  My last post before I leave for work.  I was thinking about it.  Could I change my slave drive--that doesn't have any OS installed-- to master (and master to slave) in order to install XP Pro, then reformat the other drive once that is done?

Any ideas of what would be best are greatly welcomed.  I don't care if I have to wipe my system.  I want to be able to use my desktop.  Period.  No matter what it takes.
      « Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 10:32:57 AM by scadgirl007 »

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      « Reply #33 on: November 25, 2008, 10:33:30 AM »
      you would need to perform a clean install- you would lose all program settings via that method. On the other hand, it should boot properly.

You will also need to acquire the drivers for your motherboard,graphics... and most importantly, your network interface card.

the activation should work as well- since you have previously said you never used it, and rather kept it since your laptop had pro.

as a side note- after installation- I recommend proceeding to disk management to make the drive letters less jumbled. XP doesn't move drive letters around- this caused problems with 98 and so forth, what with different applications referring to D: as the CD-ROM drive in their configuration, and then one day the D: drive would suddenly be a HD, and not the optical drive.

Of course- keeping them the way they are shouldn't cause any problems.

JJ 3000

Egghead
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #34 on: November 25, 2008, 03:31:08 PM »
      Unplug your external HD before you wipe it out. I made the mistake of wiping out an external one time! 200 gigs of data, lost!
      Save a Life!
      Adopt a homeless pet.
      http://www.petfinder.com/

scadgirl007

Topic Starter

Rookie
        « Reply #35 on: November 25, 2008, 07:25:26 PM »
        you would need to perform a clean install- you would lose all program settings via that method. On the other hand, it should boot properly.
          Losing setting is not a big concern for me.  The desktop was used mainly through college as a workstation. (I wouldn't hook it up to the internet so that I could sit down and concentrate on assignments! ;) )
        You will also need to acquire the drivers for your motherboard,graphics... and most importantly, your network interface card.
        My motherboard is a Delta Series K7N2, MS-6570; The manual states it's version 1.3, G52-M6570XA-L03. I have a disc titled "NForce Platform Drivers & Utilities."  I think that is it.  The website for my motherboard: http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=K7N2-L&class=mb   Once everything is installed, I will choose the live update version to flash the BIOS.

As of 9:20PM EST, I am starting to install the Pro.  Will let you know how it goes.

As always, thank you kindly for the assistance!

UPDATE:  I don't know what it going on.  There is something wrong; I am getting a lot of errors associated with the installation process.
        1) Setup was unable to verify drive C:. Your computer may not have enough memory to examine the drives, or your windows XP CD may contain some corrupted files.  I clicked ENTER to continue with the installation.
        2) Setup cannot copy the file: driver.cab
        3) Setup cannot copy the file: netsetup.exe
        4) Setup cannot copy the file: layout.inf
        5) Setup cannot copy the file: ntfs.sys
        6) Setup cannot copy the file: ntprint.inf
        And all of this with and authentic, store-bought copy of XP Pro.  :( 

It said that it completed installation successfully, but then when the computer restarts, the following error shows up: Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: System32\Drivers\Ntfs.sys
        You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM.

I feel like an old car with a broken axl stuck in the mud during a torrential downpour.  My back-up installation for XP Home turned out to be missing files, then my authentic XP Pro also has missing files.  And it's not even like I can get support for XP any longer.  I don't have the money to upgrade my computer to run Vista.  Just don't.  :'(

UPDATE 2: I did a manual browse of the CD.  The files are there!  I can't figure out why the computer can't access them for set up.
        « Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 10:41:50 PM by scadgirl007 »

scadgirl007

Topic Starter

Rookie
          « Reply #36 on: November 25, 2008, 10:46:11 PM »
           ???IDEA:  Could it possibly work to copy the i386 folder from my current Win XP Pro installation and just use that in conjunction with the XP Pro install disc since it can't read?  I'm just brainstorming to create some sort of solution...

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          « Reply #37 on: November 25, 2008, 10:53:36 PM »
          an i386 folder isn't installed with an XP installation. If it exists on your drive- it was likely placed there at some point manually.

scadgirl007

Topic Starter

Rookie
            « Reply #38 on: November 25, 2008, 11:14:08 PM »
            The copy error information on the XP CD said to manually transfer it if there are files having trouble transferring.

I've tried to install 3 times from the XP Pro disc.  It won't work either.  I got the furthest with the XP Home disc, because I could at least get to the part where it would ask me to select the language before it would have copy file error.

Is there anything I can do to save this desktop?  My brain nearly exploding over this issue.

JJ 3000

Egghead
            « Reply #39 on: November 26, 2008, 01:04:33 AM »

UPDATE:  I don't know what it going on.  There is something wrong; I am getting a lot of errors associated with the installation process.
            1) Setup was unable to verify drive C:. Your computer may not have enough memory to examine the drives, or your windows XP CD may contain some corrupted files.  I clicked ENTER to continue with the installation.
            2) Setup cannot copy the file: driver.cab
            3) Setup cannot copy the file: netsetup.exe
            4) Setup cannot copy the file: layout.inf
            5) Setup cannot copy the file: ntfs.sys
            6) Setup cannot copy the file: ntprint.inf
            And all of this with and authentic, store-bought copy of XP Pro.  :( 

I can't figure out why the computer can't access them for set up.

I've had this problem before. It turned out that the CD drive was dirty. I just swapped it out with  a good CD drive and the install went smoothly. Seeing as how the DVD drive is brand new you should set that as the master and try and install from that new drive. Make sure you are grounded before touching any internal components!
            It could also be that your CD is dirty or scratched. Give it a look, and if it looks bad polish it.
            Trust me this will work.

This might also be why the repair failed.

The problem started when you decide to install that new drive. Are you absolutley positve that you did not get your two hard drives confused? Could you have accidentally placed the slave HD in the master position?

Did you try this?
            Try this, set your operating system hard drive as master and plug it into the primary IDE controller without a slave. Set your CD drive as master and connect it to the secondary IDE controller witout a slave. Now you should just have one hard drive and one CD drive connected to your motherboard. Can you boot into windows now? Can you do a repair now?
            I know this is a moot point, now that you have formatted your hard drive, but I would like to know if you even tried that suggestion before you wiped out your hard drive.
            « Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 03:16:53 AM by JJ 3000 »
            Save a Life!
            Adopt a homeless pet.

scadgirl007

Topic Starter

Rookie
              « Reply #40 on: November 27, 2008, 09:48:25 AM »
              Once the computer started recognizing the hard drives, it showed the 40GB as the master (how it was originally).  I could get into the operating system only if the system disc was in the drive.  I'm not sure I'm going to have time to look at this all again until Monday because of today being Thanksgiving and going out of state Friday through Sunday to see a family member.  I'm going to try it with just the DVD player installed, and let you all know how it goes.

I still appreciate the responses.

Very happy Thanksgiving to you all!

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              « Reply #41 on: November 27, 2008, 10:21:20 AM »
              Same to you....Enjoy !
              " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

scadgirl007

Topic Starter

Rookie
                « Reply #42 on: November 28, 2008, 04:51:43 PM »
                Okay, here it goes...

1)  I changed the hardware setup.  40 GB HD on IDE-1 as Master, DVD-Burner on IDE-2 as Slave.
                2) Setup appears to have completed, however,
                3) I wasn't asked insert the drivers disc with Pro installation; I was with the Home installation.  Will this make any difference?

Thanks for all the help and support!

patio

• Genius
                • Maud' Dib
                  • Yes
                « Reply #43 on: November 28, 2008, 08:24:55 PM »
                No.
                Just re-boot and run the MBoard driver CD...
                And any add-on equipment you may have such as a video card or sound card etc...
                But MBoard drivers should always go first.
                " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

JJ 3000

Egghead
                « Reply #44 on: November 29, 2008, 01:52:37 AM »
                The first thing you should do is make sure all of your drivers loaded. Click Start then Run and type in: devmgmt.msc    Do you see any yellow question marks? If so, then you will need a driver for that device. The very next thing to do is go to Windows update and get all of the updates that are available for your machine, You will have to restart a few times but just keep going back untill it stops finding updates. Then install the anti-virus of your choice and you should be good to go.
                Save a Life!
                Adopt a homeless pet.