Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Poll

what do you think of this Post?

Great
Good
Neutral
Bad
Horrible

Author Topic: Connection one wireless router to another wirelessly??  (Read 5561 times)

aka_Frank

Topic Starter

Starter
    Connection one wireless router to another wirelessly??
    « on: November 25, 2008, 10:37:58 AM »
     ::) Is it possible to pull an internet conection from a router that is pluged into a phone line to another that isn't to provide internet access to a computer without wifi capabilites? I guess it would be using the second router as its wifi, connected by LAN.

Is this possible? ???

Thanks in advance for your help ;D

Frank

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
      • Yes
      • Technology News and Information
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Connection one wireless router to another wirelessly??
    « Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 10:09:10 PM »
    Routers dont plug into phone lines. The connections are completely different.

Or do you mean a DSL modem?

Could you try re-stating your question

Eg: Does the first device already plug into your phone line?
    And if so, does it have more than one outgoing Ethernet plug?

If so, then you can plug a WiFi router into it to have Wireless.

aka_Frank

Topic Starter

Starter
      « Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 10:34:02 PM »
      The device is pluged into a phone jack. Its has 4 local ethernet ports and a phone line jack in the back of it.

It is a 2Wire Wireless DSL Gateway Model# 2701HG  http://www.2wire.com/?p=106

I assumed it is a wireless router cause I have two laptops and a Wii system conected to itwirelessly. And I can Plug ehternet cables into the back of it.

So this is my access point to the internet from home.

I have a PC that is not capable of a wireless connection and an Efficient networks speedstream 6300 wireless DSL Gateway. is it possible to have the Speedstream connect to the 2Wire for Internet Access?

Thanks again for any support you can provide me with.

Frank

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 11:04:47 PM »
      I know the "Two-Wire" brand router. It is sometimes sold with a DSL package. It does everything and when working, works good. Mine did not have a visible antenna, but it was good in the house.  :)
      It will appear as an AP (Access Point) to any PC or Laptop that has a 902.11 wireless adapter. The PC or Laptop would use the Infrastructure or the Ad-Hoc mode.
      Router to router does not work because the router is a AP, not a client. But there are some exceptions to this rule. I think I had a Linksys router that wanted to spy on everyone. I could peek into neighbor's Windows PC. (That is another story.)  :-X
      Simple answer, no, you can not do it. I think.  :-[

aka_Frank

Topic Starter

Starter
        « Reply #4 on: November 27, 2008, 06:44:21 AM »
        I have a Laptop with wireless on the desk where the PC is. Could I connect the PC to the Laptop and somehow pull the net through it? ???

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #5 on: November 27, 2008, 04:55:34 PM »
        Yes, you can use either Ethernet or USB cross overs to tie two PCs together :-*
        My choice would be to buy a cheap dongle for such a short distance. Less wires on the desk. Sometimes you can find a bargain 802.11 USB stick that works good enough for a short distance, like inside the same office or home. 8)

lostcoast

Hopeful
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #6 on: November 28, 2008, 04:16:38 PM »
        Frank if you get this working I will buy you a beer!

piggy back wireless routers was the info you gave me and I say no freeking way....

I have been known to be wrong so no worries...the microsoft support page seems to think it can happen so maybe its possible.

would you just go buy a dang wireless for the odd computer out of the loop  :)

see ya in chat..
        I am  Moderator of Computerhope Chat, for live help and assistance please use/click Free Help in the upper forum toolbar.