Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: ipconfig problem  (Read 3188 times)

Magzor

ipconfig problem
« on: April 03, 2005, 06:34:00 AM »
A friend of mine has a 4 yr laptop that still runs on win98.

He only uses it for the internet so he has no interest in getting a new one but lately the connection won't run properly.

Dial up works, it runs to open the homepage but then a window opens, labelled ipconfig.exe, saying there's an application failure (0xc0000142) and the only option is to quit it altogether. Then when you do quit it, the same window message keeps popping up... anyone have any idea how he can fix it?

gussery

Re: ipconfig problem
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2005, 07:10:19 AM »
If memory serves correctly, ipconfig is not a valid file for Win 98, it is only available to NT, 2000, ME and XP.  I believe the correct config program for 98 was winipcfg.

I would certainly scan for viruses, malware, spyware, and highjackers if I were him.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2005, 07:10:39 AM by gussery »

Magzor

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2005, 07:36:36 AM »
I posted it wrong..it does runs on Window 2000... could it still be a virus or hacker?

gussery

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2005, 07:56:09 AM »
It most certainly could be.  It could also be a corrupted file.  See what a virus and malware scan yields first.  After that we may have to look at uninstalling the network and reinstalling it.

cigarman

Intermediate
    « Reply #4 on: April 03, 2005, 12:53:02 PM »
    Ok, now we clarified you're on W2K, this is your tcp/ip component. its either he irq conflict or the tcp/ip is corrupted hence you got the failure address and needs to be removed and put back again