Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Temp files  (Read 2295 times)

Ddude58

Temp files
« on: April 04, 2005, 10:25:41 AM »
Is it safe to delete all temp files? I seem to have 2 sets of temp files. One in windows and one in ( I think its called computer or C something. If not safe to delete everything How do you highlite a row of those rascals and delete them instead of 1 at a time. Thanks for any help

gussery

Re: Temp files
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2005, 10:34:15 AM »
You didn't mention your OS, but nonetheless......
If you have nothing running on your computer there should never be anything in the "temp" folders.  But files do get put there and not removed by programs, also installation routines often drop things in the temp folder and don't clean them up.  Viruses also love the temp folder, it is easy to find.

I have seen people save things in the temp folder because the program requests to be saved there and they don't know any better.

But, assuming good computer use practices, yes it should be safe to delete anything in the temp folders (I do it all the time).  Go to your temp folder and click the first file, hold down shift, click the last file, release the shift key, (or use <ctrl> + A).  All files are now selected.  Hit delete.  You may get one or more messages about deleting read only or exe files, just let it delete them.  If a file is unable to be deleted chances are that  it is in use and will be removed when the program using it closes.