Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer restarts constantly, and I can't get past the login screen.  (Read 31999 times)

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Computer restarts constantly, and I can't get past the login screen.
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2008, 09:38:33 AM »
Those temperatures are fairly normal for a 9800GT with a stock cooler.
The fan by default is at 29%, my 8800GT was idling at around 60C before I increased the fan speed and that was with an intake and exhaust fan, both 120mm.

Raptor

« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2008, 09:39:38 AM »
Those temperatures are fairly normal for a 9800GT with a stock cooler.
The fan by default is at 29%, my 8800GT was idling at around 60C before I increased the fan speed and that was with an intake and exhaust fan, both 120mm.

Then I'd like to know what temperature it runs at when it's in use.

Darusame

Topic Starter

Rookie
    « Reply #47 on: December 22, 2008, 09:45:03 AM »
    As in, while it has a game running in the background? I'll fire up Call of Duty 4 now.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #48 on: December 22, 2008, 09:45:13 AM »
    That's the issue Raptor, they can get to dangerous levels very easily.
    I increased the fan speed on my card and it's never above 68C (Crysis for a few hours), automatic fan control via Rivatuner so it's not too loud either.  I'd never try gaming with the fan on automatic, controlled by the hardware as default - the fan, from what I've heard, only kicks up to 100% when the card gets to about 85C.
    Slightly off topic, but I'm just saying that 63C idle is about normal.

Darusame

Topic Starter

Rookie
      « Reply #49 on: December 22, 2008, 09:52:01 AM »

I started up Call of Duty 4 Multiplayer, joined an empty server, then alt tabbed.
      I took this picture after about 1-2min, the temperature stayed stable.

Raptor

« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2008, 09:59:10 AM »
      Well, it's not high enough to get worried about but if you got some extra cash, you might want to consider investing in a higher quality videocard cooler. Or a PCI-exhaust fan cooler if the stock cooler doesn't blow air directly out of the case.

The cooler the better. Other than that, everything's just peachy.

Darusame

Topic Starter

Rookie
        « Reply #51 on: December 22, 2008, 10:02:46 AM »
        That's good to know.
        Would extra cooling improve performance or reduce bluescreens, by any chance?
        And would upgrading anything else reduce the heat load on the graphics card (e.g., power supply, motherboard, ram, and processor)?

I'm so glad my computer's back and stable.  :)
        It's been a long two weeks - thanks for the help, guys.

EDIT:
        Oh, and now my GPU's going at about 71-76C at the same settings (with 1-4 other people in the server) - is it possible that it might hit dangerous temperatures when I join servers that have lots of people in them? (It's hard to tell since it immediately drops temp as I alt tab, so my max temps could be even higher)

Oh, and how about rivatuner? Can it automatically tune the GPU fan so that it's running at full speed all the time?
        « Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 10:16:04 AM by Darusame »

Raptor

« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2008, 11:15:52 AM »
        Oh, and now my GPU's going at about 71-76C at the same settings (with 1-4 other people in the server) - is it possible that it might hit dangerous temperatures when I join servers that have lots of people in them?

You'll have to run a little test to see what level the temperature rises when you play for an hour or so on a busy server.

Some cards seems to be better able to withstand high temperatures than others, mainly those that come with passive cooling (IE: no fan). According to my Nvidia control panel the videocards won't shut down until they reach 130c... It is in no way recommended to play at a temperature that can boil water!

Anyhow, to answer your other questions;

Would extra cooling improve performance or reduce bluescreens, by any chance?

Yes and no. Mostly a blue screen means a conflict somewhere, not necessarily a heat problem. Although the conflict can be caused by a heat problem I suppose.

What overheating will mainly do is cause slow downs and artifacting. Sometimes even leading to a shutdown if the temperature reaches a critical level. 

And would upgrading anything else reduce the heat load on the graphics card (e.g., power supply, motherboard, ram, and processor)?

Having a good airflow is a must but since all your other parts are quite well cooled I'd say your GPU might just need something more powerful to get the temperature down. The rest is apparently cooled well enough as far as we can tell from a screenshot.

Hope this helps. In the end, it's your decision. The cooler components run, the longer their life expectancy and the better their performance.

Darusame

Topic Starter

Rookie
          « Reply #53 on: December 22, 2008, 11:27:05 AM »
          My computer gets random occasional slowdowns while I'm play COD4 (not any other game, so far), so I don't think that overheating is too big of a factor (for now).
          The bluescreens I get are typically associated with not reinstalling patches correctly, although I've amended that issue and still get them. I was just making sure it wasn't a heating issue.

I'll definitely look into get something that specifically cools my graphics card - where do I start and what are these parts called specifically? I didn't even know there were parts that specifically cooled down GPU heat.
          Are there different varieties? Which would be the best for just getting my card to normal temperatures? I'm not interested in overclocking (especially after this incident).

Raptor

« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2008, 12:03:28 PM »
          Zalman and Cooler Master are two brands that develop high quality (and silent) coolers. Another name that jumps to mind is arctic cooling. These coolers are mainly referred to as "VGA coolers".

Not all coolers fit on all videocards, so make sure that you check for compatability first. If you are interested in a cooler, make certain that you read at least one review on it. Installation is often easy. Zalman even offers an online step-by-step flash movie. Most of these coolers come with thermal paste so you do not need to go out and buy that seperately.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
            • Yes
          « Reply #55 on: December 22, 2008, 12:12:12 PM »
          I think a better solution is to control the current cooling system better.  It involves a lot less time and money.
          http://www.overclock.net/nvidia/273072-how-set-auto-fan-profile-most.html <-- that may help you.
          I'm going to get a guide on how to use Rivatuner like this sometime soon, I'll step it up a little.

However, if you do decide on a new cooling system, my choice would be the Zalman GV1000 or Arctic Cooling Accelero (that needs a specific revision as there are several, check before buying).

Darusame

Topic Starter

Rookie
            « Reply #56 on: December 22, 2008, 01:25:02 PM »
            I'm still trying to grasp your link, Calum, as the terminology is a tad confusing, but:
            What's the harm in having fan speed at 100% all the time? Does it drain too much energy / too unnecessary?

Raptor

« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2008, 01:27:53 PM »
            I'm still trying to grasp your link, Calum, as the terminology is a tad confusing, but:
            What's the harm in having fan speed at 100% all the time? Does it drain too much energy / too unnecessary?

It's noisy. Other than that, nothing I can think of.

I don't really get the terminology either. Maybe Calum can explain.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
              • Yes
            « Reply #58 on: December 23, 2008, 05:24:14 AM »
            If you follow the first few steps, i.e. install Rivatuner (link) then the rest should be clearer.
            They're all options within the windows it refers to, in Rivatuner.
            You can ignore the whole formula thing, it doesn't make much sense to me either.
            Start with the settings the poster references using for his 8800GTX (use the key he provides to help) and play around, see what you can get from it.
            I agree that if you're a first time user that is a little confusing, sorry and I will get a clearer guide done soon.

Darusame

Topic Starter

Rookie
              « Reply #59 on: December 23, 2008, 04:28:06 PM »
              That's the issue Raptor, they can get to dangerous levels very easily.
              I increased the fan speed on my card and it's never above 68C (Crysis for a few hours), automatic fan control via Rivatuner so it's not too loud either.  I'd never try gaming with the fan on automatic, controlled by the hardware as default - the fan, from what I've heard, only kicks up to 100% when the card gets to about 85C.
              Slightly off topic, but I'm just saying that 63C idle is about normal.

I just configured with the guide's settings, and I'm about to restart to see the difference.
              However, I'm confused about what you said earlier Calum -
              you say that your temp never goes over 68C with Crysis on, then you say "I'd never try gaming with the fan on automatic, controlled by the hardware as default."
              Does that mean you'd never try gaming with the default fan settings, or the other way around? Is there something I don't know about (sorry if I'm a tad paranoid, but I'm still a little confused about this whole fan thing).