Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Which LCD monitor?  (Read 3944 times)

hans_nl

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Which LCD monitor?
    « on: December 21, 2008, 03:28:06 AM »
    Because I have taken up processing of video's I am now considering the replacement of my 15"CRT monitor by a 22" LCD monitor. I have tried to compare a lot of these things by their specifications but the only result is that I am left totally confused. There are so many monitors with the same given specifications but with prices, differing several hundreds of Euro's! Up to now nobody could give me a plausible answer or advice. Can anybody of you?
    The specifications of my PC are: Intel Pentium IV 2.8 GHz; 1GB memory; nVidia GeForce FX 5500.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Which LCD monitor?
    « Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 09:39:08 AM »
    I've found that the only effective way to select a new monitor is to first set a budget...
    Research the models in your price range...
    And finally go see them in person.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 09:42:01 AM »
    I am very satisfied with the performance, looks, quality and OSD of any modern Samsung LCD screen. They are sold for as few as 120 euros.

Given your location, have a look here (Click)

I'd stay away from Acer.

jerryheavyarms

Apprentice

• http://www.youtube.com/theoldpath
      • Bible insights by THE MOST SENSIBLE PREACHER OF OUR TIME.
    « Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 09:46:14 AM »
    Hello!
    If I may add, ask for people who are using LCD screens for the longest time and ask if they can make recommendations...
    "Most complex problems do have a solution. It is only that we don't attempt to think. So let's apply: Dont just do something, sit there."
    --Kuya Daniel Razon

Everything in this world will remind us of God, even every drop of a leaf from its stem will remind us of His glory. -Bro.Eli Soriano

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 10:37:09 AM »
    I'd stay away from Acer.

Any particular reason for this? I had an Acer LCD 19" screen for many years without a single problem.

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008, 10:40:17 AM »
    I'd stay away from Acer.

Any particular reason for this? I had an Acer LCD 19" screen for many years without a single problem.

Acer sells cheap because they save on important components that prevent their products from breaking down after prolonged use.

That and their customer service is horrible. At least where I come from...

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    « Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 10:47:28 AM »
    I'd stay away from Acer.

Acer sells cheap because they save on important components that prevent their products from breaking down after prolonged use.

That and their customer service is horrible. At least where I come from...

I'm using an Acer widescreen right now; and have since last christmas. My brother has a Viewsonic, and I have to say it's terrible in comparison to my Acer. every single resolution change munges up the LCD clock, so it stretches out; and even at the native resolution the image goes off the sides about 10 pixels.

On the other hand, I'm not sure how good ViewSonic is considered.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Raptor

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008, 10:53:54 AM »
    Never heard of Viewsonic, I wouldn't buy a non-established brand when it comes to something you'll spend most of your life looking at.

I have an Acer monitor that breaks down every so often and requires its capacitors to be replaced. Some kind of design error (Acer Al711)

Once tried to obtain a new recovery disc for a client of mine through Acer. Sent in three forums and two phone calls and I still don't have the bloody discs.

The software they add to their laptops in my region is poorly translated  (Half German, half my language) and often doesn't update the underlying Windows settings causing conflicts... That and the software is painfully slow.

They're just a budget brand hidden under a thick layer of juicy design and low pricing

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #8 on: December 21, 2008, 11:01:56 AM »
    A Micro-Center rep told me last Holiday shopping season that Acer's LCD's were Samsung manufactured...
    Boy they'll say anything to make a sale.... 8)
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Raptor

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2008, 11:06:25 AM »
    A Micro-Center rep told me last Holiday shopping season that Acer's LCD's were Samsung manufactured...
    Boy they'll say anything to make a sale.... 8)
    Asrock is a subsidiary of Asus.

Asrock mainboards have a habit of being short of capacitors leading to capacitor failure.

I would never recommend Asrock but I like Asus a lot.

By the way, a quick look on Wiki shows that Acer is not related to Samsung That tells you something about sales-men, eh?

hans_nl

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2008, 11:13:25 AM »
      Thank you all for your input. Unfortunately it hardly narrows down the range of monitors. One statement confirms my idea and that is the negative image of Acer but that leaves me a lot of other brands with whole series of types. I am convinced that several brands have types which are good value for money but I don't think I can make a founded decision without knowing why one brand can sell monitors of, say 120 Euro's and, at the same time, types up to 400 Euro's. The buyers must have a reason, I suppose....

Raptor

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2008, 11:28:45 AM »
      Well, when I first purchade an LCD screen I made a little Excel spreadsheet that contained five monitors of my choice and I just compared all their specifications. Putting a red mark if I didn't like something and a green if I did like something.

The one with the most green marks ended up to be a Samsung 930BF which I've had for about 3 years now...

"CRT monitor by a 22" LCD monitor. I have tried to compare a lot of these things by their specifications but the only result is that I am left totally confused. There are so many monitors with the same given specifications but with prices, differing several hundreds of Euro's!

These things usually affect the price of an LCD monitor;

• The ability to twist and tilt the monitor
      • The quality of the foot of the monitor
      • The brightness of the screen (In CDM/2 if I'm not mistaken)
      • The type of pixel warranty (Manufacturer page will tell you)
      • the response time (In milliseconds)
      • the viewing angle (in degrees, the higher the better)

That and you'll probably spend up to 40% more if you buy it in stores rather than order it off the net.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      « Reply #12 on: December 22, 2008, 04:42:09 AM »
      I have to say that an Acer screen which my gran has is good quality (she;'s had it around a year) but it can't be tilted at all - the stand prevents it.
      I have a cheapo HannsG display and it's fantastic.
      Viewsonic actually have a pretty good reputation, at least from what I've heard.
      Sony screens are good, also Samsung as suggested, LG and Asus.

hans_nl

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2008, 02:46:35 AM »
        Thank you all. Especially Raptor for the listing which makes sense to me. I'll see if I can make a choice with this information.

Raptor

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2008, 09:28:15 AM »
        Kind of curious what you'll come home with, Hans. Let us know.  :)