Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 98 not booting  (Read 4464 times)

eljae

Windows 98 not booting
« on: December 17, 2008, 07:22:36 AM »
Windows XP requires a 64MB RAM and Windows 98 has a 32MB RAM. I had a IBM 128MB RAM that I used to replace the 32MB RAM and started the computer. Then my computer would not start, so I removed the 128MB RAM and reinserted the 32MB RAM and restarted. I rebooted with the Windows 98 Boot Disk and everything went up to "Rescue Recovery." The computer said "Press any key to start rescue.exe or press Ctrl C to go to DOS." I tried both and all I have is a blinking (-). Have I completely ruined my computer? Is there a way I can get the computer to boot from the Windows 98 cd? I tried putting in the Win98 cd but nothing happens. Need help to rescue my computer. ???

Shark Fin 101

Rookie

Re: Windows 98 not booting
    « Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 02:48:37 PM »
    What's the computer model (and the memory model)? My guess is that 128mb was too much for the motherboard, or it was the wrong type.

And are we talking a laptop or desktop?

elliwigy

Rookie

Re: Windows 98 not booting
      « Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 04:00:37 PM »
      I agree, it sounds like you either installed the wrong memory, or too much for your motherboard.  Putting the original RAM back in was a good decision.  Now are you trying to do a clean install of windows 98, or are you just trying to boot it back up the way it was? A boot disk will give you the (-) because windows 98 uses dos, and that is a dos screen.  Do you know your dos commands?  Did you try to input any commands?  It is possible you overloaded the motherboard with the RAM, especially if it was the wrong kind.