Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Start-up Problem  (Read 2165 times)

k0rey67vd

Topic Starter

Start-up Problem
    « on: December 17, 2008, 06:02:34 PM »
    Hi...

Today, I had left my computer unattended for about an hour. I had Opera running, and when I had came back, I click on the tab for it on the task bar but the computer froze when I pressed it. So, I pressed on my power button to restart the computer..

When it came on it loaded up until the task bar and the icons on my desktop. However, when I bring the mouse to the taskbar, my mouse turns into the hourglass symbol preventing me from pressing anything on the task bar. Along with this, the system tray icons are not loading. I figured I would try to click on one of the icons on the desktop but when I do this, the mouse turns into an hourglass symbol and nothing happens..

Nothing else loads up but the task bar and the icons, and usually my system tray icons are the next to load but my computer never gets to that point. I'm not really sure what the issue is or how it can be fixed so I'm hoping someone knows what I'm talking about and how to resolve this issue.

Currently, I am using the computer in safe mode which seems to be working.

Help would be greatly appreciated!

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Start-up Problem
    « Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 08:41:24 PM »
    Did you try System Restore from Safe Mode?

Gakkles-3

Rookie
      Re: Start-up Problem
      « Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 08:56:38 AM »
      Control-Alt-Delete should get you to the Task Manager.

There you can see your running Applications, and you can kill whatever is hogging your system. (Or do the same in Processes.)

It sounds as though something came along via Opera and is stalling out your system.

Plus you can use File at the top left corner of Task Manager, and "New Task" gives you your Run command line, so you can do pretty much anything from there. You are posting here, so I assume you have another computer, and you can Google for any run commands you want—such as system restore.

You might want to Google about Task Manager too, because you can basically run everything you want from there.

(In the future, use the freeware NTREGOPT [NT Registry Optimizer] and its companion ERUNT, which are free and much better than System Restore. Take a bit of time to read the README textfile that comes with them.)

(Also in the future, firewalls such as ZoneAlarm include taskbar icons that let you lock off internet access automatically after, say, 10 minutes away from the computer.)

Good luck.