Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Runner Error...  (Read 4612 times)

unome

Topic Starter

Rookie

Runner Error...
    « on: December 17, 2008, 02:40:20 PM »
    Hi! New to Computer Hope, so far have found it to be extremely helpful. but cannot find in FAQ the 'thing' that is happening with Demon, my computer. When I start up I get this: Runner Error
                Invalid BackWeb Version id 6.2.3.66
                                      OK
    When I click OK it goes away, but I am kind of paranoid about it, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, UNOME

Can't Sleep, Clowns Will Eat Me

Raptor

Re: Runner Error...
    « Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 02:49:37 PM »
    I'm going to *censored*-ume that this is a HP computer, right? Why else would you call it 'demon'...

Click Here

unome

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 04:01:55 PM »
      Well, yeah, it is an HP...and I used 'Demon' because I don't think they will let me use some of the other colorful names I have given it in the past!lol!!! I did the remove HP updates in control panel, hope that takes care of the new little ailment, also downloaded HIJackThis and the Malware remover program and ran them, so hopefully Demon won't be nutting up for awhile...I might add that I am/was a bit of a computer serial killer, this one is number 6 and so far it hasn't just fell over and died like all the others...but perhaps I have said too much?:-) Thanks dude, later, unome

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 04:03:55 PM »
      Alright, let me know how it works out for you.

unome

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 04:38:49 PM »
        Okay, Demon decided that wouldn't work...at times it has a mind of it's own...will attempt other remedies as they come available...unless it decides to shut me out completely which it did couple years ago. later, unome

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 04:40:42 PM »
        Okay, Demon decided that wouldn't work...at times it has a mind of it's own...will attempt other remedies as they come available...unless it decides to shut me out completely which it did couple years ago. later, unome

You followed the instructions to the letter? No anomalies?

The question is whether you need this software..

"With the My HP Center, consumers have access directly from the desktop to Internet sites featuring special offers for HP customers ranging from personal finance and shopping to digital imaging and music"

If you're paranoid enough, I'd consider this a piece of spyware and you might be better off removing it in its entire.
        Apparently it is located in "Program Files\BackWeb\BackWeb Client". I'd recommend going through add/remove software first, though.

Since it is no essential part of Windows, it will not interfere with daily operation of your Microsoft system..
        Of course, if you make use of HP's services in some way it might just interfere. It also updates HP components automatically.

You'll have to be the judge of that.

unome

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 06:41:45 PM »
          WOO-HOO!!! I searched remove programs in control panel, nothing about BackWeb, put it in search and it came up, deleted it and upon restart there is no longer the error message!!!! THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!! Uh, that third THANK YOU is for the future as I am fairly certain in the near future something else will nut up on Demon, but in the meantime all is well. Happy Holidays, unome :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Raptor

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 02:43:59 AM »
          Alright, now be nice to Demon. He worked hard!  ;)