Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Repartition without losing data (Please read, more complicated than it sounds)  (Read 3213 times)

rockerest

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Well, here's my problem:

Here's my CURRENT HDD setup:

HDD0: Partition1 = System, Partition2 = Applications & MyDocuments, Partition3 = More Applications
HDD1: Personal Data
HDD2: DVD Rips

0 is 320GB
1 is 750GB
2 is 1TB

Back when I first got Vista, I only had the one 320GB HDD in my computer.  It worked fine, and I was happy.  However, I wanted to keep my system separate from my data and programs, so that if need be I could wipe the OS and start over without too much hassle.

That said, I didn't do a very good job, so some of my programs are installed in the boot partition and the rest are installed in their own partition.

As you can probably see, after the addition of a larger HDD, I moved my personal stuff to it and let it's old partition become more app space.

Well, now I'm planning on getting a 10,000RPM HDD and another 1TB HDD and I'd like to rearrange the data again.

Here's what I'd like the new setup to look like:

HDD0: Software
HDD1: Personal Data
HDD2: DVD Rips
HDD3: DVD or Video Edit Data
HDD4: System Boot Drive

Where:
HDD0 is my 320GB
HDD1 is my 750GB
HDD2 is my 1TB
HDD3 is my 2nd 1TB
HDD4 is my 10k RPM 300GB

So after all that explaining, here is my problem:

How can I remove the two partitions that are currently on my system drive and separate the Operating System onto a different HDD without royally morphing the system into not knowing where ANYTHING is?

I'd like to be able to keep my currently installed software, as there's a lot of it and it's a complete pain in the *censored* to get everything back to status quo.  However, I do understand that it would just be easier to move my personal data off, wipe the drive and start from scratch...but that's just nowhere near as fun.

Also, what are anyone's opinions on running software from the boot drive vs. from a separate drive, and is there a noticeable improvement for software (like editing, gaming, etc.) when they run on 10k RPM drives versus 7200RPM?

Thanks!
-rock

Post edited for content
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 12:46:12 PM by patio »
In general, the PEBKAC.  Whether it's now or was three weeks ago, the PEBKAC.
Unsafe browsing and general computer / internet illiteracy IS the users problem.  Don't have sex if you don't know how to use a condom.
Also, there are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.