Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Exciting Day  (Read 3521 times)

Valadur

Topic Starter

Starter

Exciting Day
    « on: December 19, 2008, 04:57:38 PM »
    I am fairly competent with computers, have been using them for quite some time. Recently I decided to upgrade my OS knowledge by adding Linux familiarity to my repertoire, good idea right?  Added a GRUB boot manager with a linux ext3 partition and Ubuntu. So then I recently decided to change my linux distro from Ubuntu over to backtrack3 in an attempt to upgrade my computer security knowledge as well.

Unfortunately BT3 doesn't come with the installer like BT2 did. They are aiming for a VM/LiveCD/USB system and are trying to avoid HDD installs. I wanted HDD anyway and proceeded with, while extremely tired, deleting my Ubuntu partition, running into problems and then reinstalling Ubuntu while letting Ubuntu automatically manage the partition settings.

<laugh really hard here>

<wipe your eyes a sec>

<laugh some more>

For those who don't quite realize why you are laughing yet, Ubuntu reformatted my hard drive and overwrote the windows sectors. I just turned my multiboot box into a test platform for linux. YAAAAA!!!! MERRY CHRISTMAS ME I DELETED EVERYTHING I HAVE!!!!

(fortunately most of the important crap was backed up multiple times)

So now I think Imma take up programming too so sometime in the future I can contribute lol.

Valadur

Topic Starter

Starter

Re: Exciting Day
      « Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 04:58:52 PM »
      oh yes, side note, dont reformat, or repartition, play with the MBR/GRUB/Lilo etc while extremely tired. :P

mcxeb52!

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 05:18:41 PM »
      oh yes, side note, dont reformat, or repartition, play with the MBR/GRUB/Lilo etc while extremely tired. :P

of course, you're most likely gonna be extremely frustrated AND extemely tired.

Linux, I feel, is not as convenient as mac or windows because you need to do many things through the terminal which involves writing code (llike the old windows DOS days but a bit more complex) Linux should just be a click and play system like windows or mac generally is ....

If For Linux, just do a task and if terminal coding is required, the OS would just load the terminal code as necessary ..... It would be more usable 

Valadur

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 05:59:06 PM »

of course, you're most likely gonna be extremely frustrated AND extemely tired.

LOL yeah that made things worse and fast, true enough.

KenJackson

Beginner
          • Yes
          • Jackson I/O
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 07:03:49 PM »
        Linux, I feel, is not as convenient as mac or windows because you need to do many things through the terminal which involves writing code (llike the old windows DOS days but a bit more complex) Linux should just be a click and play system like windows or mac generally is ....

You obviously don't use Linux.  In recent years, Linux has become easier to use than Windows.  I use Windows at work and am constantly frustrated with it.  I use 4 different distros of Linux at home and enjoy their diverse strengths.

You don't have to use a terminal window for anything anymore.  But many users, including me, make good use of the Bash shell because it is extremely powerful and quick.  Why would I want to click and wait through a series of steps (the Windows way) to do something that I do all the time when I can just write a small script to do it all at once?