Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: hangs at BIOS page on startup  (Read 14098 times)

Raptor

Re: hangs at BIOS page on startup
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2008, 12:45:56 PM »
btw - i have one system fan that is located in the center of the side panel.

I'd move it to the back so it can blow out there and tape the side hole shut. Adding a fan in front of the case, if possible, creates an even stronger airflow. Especially important if the hard drive is located in the front of the case so it can immediately be cooled down.

This is most likely a side-issue but it's worth looking into for the sake of your PC's health.

landa321

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2008, 01:13:15 PM »
    removed the hard drive... same results.

i can see the bottom of the heatsink.

replacing the battery didn't seem to make much of a difference.

It will take quite a while before it goes into BIOS, so I will let you know the current temp and whether BIOS is set to Quick Boot. Should it be if it is not?

BIOS version 6.00PG

The fan on center of side panel is actually attached to the side panel. should I consider adding a fan to the front and/or back of the case?

Raptor

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2008, 01:30:53 PM »
    I don't know what kind of computer case you have. A fan blowing out from the back is always a good thing but you should decide for yourself what the most logical course of action is. EG: Adding a fan in the front and the back and disconnecting the side fan or perhaps adding a fan in the front and keeping the fan on the side panel?

It depends on the layout of your case and the kind of hardware you have installed and want the keep cooled. Consider it homework for creativity class. ;)

Regarding your problem. If you disconnect anything but the RAM, CPU, keyboard and monitor, does the problem still occur? Make sure that you unhook any cables from the motherboard to devices that aren't attached.

Have you had the time to run the RAM diagnostic test and if so, did it report any errors?

Can you inspect your mainboard for leaking capacitors or burned chips?

Is the north/south-bridge cooler (If any) still properly seated?

What kind of PSU do you have and do you have a PSU lying around that you can replace it with?

landa321

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2008, 01:55:52 PM »
      ok... big change in results here. I removed all of the PCI cards, all cables, and the CD-ROM.
      The BIOS post fired up! Memory check happened super fast and i was able to get into BIOS in seconds. Basically... the way it is supposed to work.

CPU temp in BIOS is now 39 degrees celsius.

I did not run RAM diagnostic, but due to these results, I am thinking the RAM is not the problem, right? Obviously, I will do that eventually anyway.

But, now that the BIOS is loading up good, what should I do next?
      If I do try to load Windows on to this new hard drive, I will still have the problem with it not detecting all of the space. In other words, it will probably only detect 13100 MB instead of the full 750GB, but I guess I'll deal with that a little later.

What next?

landa321

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2008, 01:57:39 PM »
        almost forgot to mention... that CMOS error - defaults loaded came up again

Raptor

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2008, 02:06:36 PM »
        But, now that the BIOS is loading up good, what should I do next?

Start plugging back in the devices you disconnected. Plug one in and turn it on. See what device causes the problem.

If I do try to load Windows on to this new hard drive, I will still have the problem with it not detecting all of the space. In other words, it will probably only detect 13100 MB instead of the full 750GB, but I guess I'll deal with that a little later.

Can you verify if it still happens now that the BIOS/POST is functioning normally?

Still diagnose your RAM just to be sure. Press "T" to do extended tests in Microsoft Memory Diagnostics, let it run all the tests once with all your RAM installed.

If any errors are given, use only one RAM module at the time.

almost forgot to mention... that CMOS error - defaults loaded came up again

You might resolve this by loading the "Fail-safe" values in the BIOS if such an option is available. If not, try loading "Default" values manually.

This is a Gigabyte mainboard, correct? Does it come with that dual-BIOS thing where you actually have two BIOS?

landa321

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2008, 02:33:42 PM »

Start plugging back in the devices you disconnected. Plug one in and turn it on. See what device causes the problem.

Do I do all of this before trying the new hard drive and loading XP on to it?

It is a Gigabyte MB, but how can I tell if it has dual BIOS?
          I don't know much about BIOS/CMOS

Raptor

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2008, 02:37:51 PM »

Do I do all of this before trying the new hard drive and loading XP on to it?

It is a Gigabyte MB, but how can I tell if it has dual BIOS?
          I don't know much about BIOS/CMOS

Naw, try installing Vista first to see if that reports the right size. If it does, we'll know there are no further problems and just need to figure out what part causes the problem.

You only have to add the CD/DVD-ROM Player to install Vista because your computer is now as minimalistic as it can be, right?

As for the dual-bios, I forgot what it was called. I've only ever owned one Gigabyte mainboard and they advertised it on the box.

I'm not sure if your mainboard has it or not. The manual speaks of it on the @Bios page but I quickly skimmed through the rest and can't find any mention of it. You should sit down and study it in a bit more detail. It might be the cause of your BIOS error messages. Your mainboard switching back and forth between back-up and current BIOS.

However, it might not be related to your current problem and could be a coincidence..

« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 02:53:12 PM by Raptor »

landa321

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2008, 02:51:46 PM »
            I don't have a Vista disc. I have XP Pro.

I don't see anything about Dual BIOS on the MB box. Yes... I keep all boxes.

Should I go ahead and load XP then? I have a feeling that XP without any SPs won't allow me to use all of the 750GB on the sata hard drive.

Raptor

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2008, 02:53:41 PM »
            I don't have a Vista disc. I have XP Pro.

I don't see anything about Dual BIOS on the MB box. Yes... I keep all boxes.

Should I go ahead and load XP then? I have a feeling that XP without any SPs won't allow me to use all of the 750GB on the sata hard drive.

What size is reported in BIOS?

Some sources claim 137GB is indeed the maximal size you can see if you do not upgrade to SP1. So that should be considered normal behaviour which means we can focus on the slow-post again.

landa321

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2008, 03:42:02 PM »
              13100 MB is what was being detected. What happens if I go ahead and install XP Pro like that? Will it detect the rest of the space once I am up and running and download SP1?

Raptor

« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2008, 03:54:22 PM »
              13100 MB is what was being detected. What happens if I go ahead and install XP Pro like that? Will it detect the rest of the space once I am up and running and download SP1?

That makes for 13GB..

Does the BIOS report the same?

By the way, did connecting the CD-ROM player start the slow downs again? They have stopped now, correct?

landa321

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2008, 03:55:23 PM »
                i haven't actually done that. Since you said to install Vista and I don't have that, I want to make sure I should go ahead with the XP pro.

i will reconnect the hard drive now.

Raptor

« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2008, 04:03:57 PM »
                i haven't actually done that. Since you said to install Vista and I don't have that, I want to make sure I should go ahead with the XP pro.

i will reconnect the hard drive now.

I thought you had Vista at first, XP will do fine. See if XP reports the proper amount now.

Have you got the diagnostics for the hard drive ready in case XP doesn't report 137GB (Or more if it comes with a service pack).

Also listen to the sound its making; does it sound like its having difficulties getting up to speed? Or perhaps it makes a ticking noise?

landa321

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2008, 04:06:11 PM »
                  I will attempt to load XP and let you know exactly how much of the drive is being detected by Windows.
                  BIOS does detect 750GB