Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: need help installing DSL on a custom build  (Read 3516 times)

Dead_reckon

need help installing DSL on a custom build
« on: December 22, 2008, 11:40:51 AM »
I've got this system I'm installing DSL (d**n Small Linux) on for my brother. The boot CD works fine,  however, I have no clue how to create a EXT2 or EXT3 partition on the 15GB IDE Maxtor hard drive. [EDIT] I get an error when I try to install even though I managed to use cfdisk to create a partition, the error is something about a "Block Special Device", the drive is what there talking about i think. any idea what this means?

The desktops specs are

Compaq Deskpro socket 370 motherboard (unknown model, unless someone knows how to make linux tell me hardware info)
socket 370 Intel Celeron Coppermine, 700MHz/66FSB/128K L2
512MB PC133 SDRAM
15GB ATA66 or ATA100 Maxtor HDD (Don't know which speed it is, shouldn't matter with an OS like DSL)
52X Samsung ATA66 CD-ROM drive
32MB WinFast MX64 AGP 2x GPU
235W AOpen PSU (Was an AOpen PII barebone, I removed the PII motherboard in favor of the newer socket 370 board)
and lastly, it has some D-Link 10/100 PCI NIC I installed in there. Dunno the model. It doesn't matter though, I'll let my brother figure out how to get that working since he's so eager to learn linux.

Thanks in advance for any help.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 04:00:22 PM by Dead_Reckon »

Dead_reckon

Re: need help installing DSL on a custom build
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 11:53:03 PM »
Never mind, after several hours of toying with DSL I got it to format and install, thanks anyway though. Admins feel free to delete this thread, for some reason I can't delete it.