Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Laptop with Second Monitor problem  (Read 6699 times)

Scouseboy

Topic Starter

Rookie

Laptop with Second Monitor problem
    « on: December 24, 2008, 06:17:22 AM »
    Hey guys

I'm running a Sony Viao VGN-NR11S, and up until yesterday I had a ViewSonic VA1912w-4 flatscreen monitor attached as my second monitor, using it with no problems. I disconnected my laptop in order to use it on a journey, but when I returned the second monitor refused to work. I connect it up, the laptop recognizes its presence and says the device is working properly, but the second monitor itself comes on and switches itself off after five or ten seconds. Before it does, the screen has a blue box in the top right corner that says ANALOG.

I never moved the monitor, or touched the settings, before I went on my journey, yet the monitor refuses to work on my return. Does anyone know if / how this can be fixed?

Cheers in advance.

Craig

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Laptop with Second Monitor problem
    « Reply #1 on: December 24, 2008, 06:58:21 AM »
    Even though settings were not changed, be sure to verify tha the settings are still the same as before. Sometimes Windows trys to be smart and change the resolution to a resolution not supported by the display and this causes the display to fail to sync up. More common with laptops with wide screen resolution and plugging in a standard display in which it tried to force the external display to the odd widescreen dimensions for resolution and the external display doesnt sync up.

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2008, 06:59:32 AM »
    Before it does, the screen has a blue box in the top right corner that says ANALOG

Does your laptop come with a digital connection?

Scouseboy

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2008, 07:11:25 AM »
      Before it does, the screen has a blue box in the top right corner that says ANALOG

Does your laptop come with a digital connection?

I'm unsure... here are the specs:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Sony-Vaio-VGN-NR11S-S-Notebook.6918.0.html
      http://www.viewsoniceurope.com/UK/Products/LCDE2/VA1912w.htm#specs

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2008, 07:13:26 AM »
      It comes with an analog connection. Make sure your LCD monitor is set that way as well.

Scouseboy

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2008, 07:14:59 AM »
        It comes with an analog connection. Make sure your LCD monitor is set that way as well.

How would I do that? Display settings?

Raptor

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2008, 07:15:55 AM »

Refer to your monitor manual.

Scouseboy

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2008, 07:28:39 AM »

Refer to your monitor manual.

Sadly, that's long gone... can't find it online either. Any other ideas?

Scouseboy

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2008, 07:29:44 AM »
            Even though settings were not changed, be sure to verify tha the settings are still the same as before. Sometimes Windows trys to be smart and change the resolution to a resolution not supported by the display and this causes the display to fail to sync up. More common with laptops with wide screen resolution and plugging in a standard display in which it tried to force the external display to the odd widescreen dimensions for resolution and the external display doesnt sync up.

The settings appear to be the same as usual... I've also altered the resolutions in orer to see if others work, and none of them seem to help.

Raptor

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2008, 07:32:51 AM »
            Have a look on the OSD, I'm sure you can find an option that'll allow you to set the monitor to Digital and Analog.

If it only has a VGA connector and no DVI connector you can stop looking for the setting as that will not be the problem in such a situation.

Scouseboy

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2008, 08:54:37 AM »
              Have a look on the OSD, I'm sure you can find an option that'll allow you to set the monitor to Digital and Analog.

If it only has a VGA connector and no DVI connector you can stop looking for the setting as that will not be the problem in such a situation.

Can't get the OSD to fire... I don't have a backup decsktop to plumb it through, and it has the same problems on both my Viao laptops. Also, there's no DVI, just a VGA connector.

Any other ideas?

soybean

Genius
              • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
              • Experience: Experienced
              « Reply #11 on: December 24, 2008, 09:29:04 AM »
              I never moved the monitor, or touched the settings, before I went on my journey, ...
              I believe that's where you made a mistake, although I don't know for sure whether would cause the problem you have now.  When you first used a second monitor with your laptop, you had to open Windows Display Properties and tell Windows you want to "Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor", right?  So, when you were preparing to disconnect the second monitor, you should have opened Display Properties again, and unchecked "Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor". 

So, once you get the immediate problem resolved, keep in mind the above procedure in the future. You don't simply disconnect and re-connect your monitor.  You also need to change your display settings in Windows.

Scouseboy

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2008, 09:42:59 AM »
                I never moved the monitor, or touched the settings, before I went on my journey, ...
                I believe that's where you made a mistake, although I don't know for sure whether would cause the problem you have now.  When you first used a second monitor with your laptop, you had to open Windows Display Properties and tell Windows you want to "Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor", right?  So, when you were preparing to disconnect the second monitor, you should have opened Display Properties again, and unchecked "Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor". 

So, once you get the immediate problem resolved, keep in mind the above procedure in the future. You don't simply disconnect and re-connect your monitor.  You also need to change your display settings in Windows.

I've unplugged it and re-plugged it countless times before this one without unchecking the "Extend My Windows Desktop" option in settings, with no advesrse effects. My second laptop runs 2 monitors fine, and auto-detects the second when I connect and disconnect it. My second laptop is exactly the same specs as my first (with an older second monitor I've had for the best part of ten years). On checking the broken system on my return, I reset my "extend my windows desktop" settings many times, back and forth, and nothing seemed to make a difference to getting the monitor to remain switched on. I don't think me not altering this setting when disconnecting my monitor had any impact on the current monitor problems, as it never has before, and if it did it should be easily fixable with simple settings tweaks (which it isn't, as far as I've tried).

soybean

Genius
                • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
                • Experience: Experienced
                « Reply #13 on: December 24, 2008, 09:58:38 AM »
                Well, OK, I agree with your conclusions on that matter. Perhaps I should have refrained from posting.  I have a notebook PC but have only connected an external monitor to it one time. 

Can you test your monitor on another computer?  And, can you find another monitor to test on your laptop?

Scouseboy

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2008, 10:05:18 AM »
                  Well, OK, I agree with your conclusions on that matter. Perhaps I should have refrained from posting.  I have a notebook PC but have only connected an external monitor to it one time. 

Can you test your monitor on another computer?  And, can you find another monitor to test on your laptop?

No problem. :)

I have 2 laptops (identical specs) and 2 extra monitors (one that works, and one that doesn't that's the reason for the posts).

On both laptops, the problem monitor refuses to work. The problem appears to be the same on each laptop.
                  On both laptops, the working monitor works fine.