Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer crashes during games/running videos  (Read 18049 times)

monkeyboy_2008

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: Computer crashes during games/running videos
    « Reply #15 on: January 02, 2009, 09:30:39 PM »
    Thanks a bunch! I don't know if the crashing problem is fixed yet... but I'll have to test it out sometime.

I'll be getting the paste tomorrow, so I'll apply that with my dad's help (seeing as I don't know how yet  :D)

I don't know exactly what the crashing problem could be... does anybody have any insight on it? I'll just recap on what happens:

The screen stops, and splits into many vertical lines, eventually the monitor turns off, causing me to restart the computer.

Any knowledge on the issue would be greatly appreciated.

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #16 on: January 02, 2009, 09:45:10 PM »
    Overheating is a very good reason for crashes, good enough reason, in fact.

monkeyboy_2008

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2009, 01:45:12 AM »
      Okay. Now, I shouldn't have to keep an external fan on all the time XD
      When I've put the thermal paste on, I'll retry the temperatures and post them again. Looking at my last temperatures, are they okay? I mean, what can really be done to bring them down even more (if needed, obviously low temps are best)? I'll put the paste on, hopefully that also makes a difference.

JJ 3000

Egghead
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #18 on: January 03, 2009, 02:21:04 AM »
      Be careful when you are working inside of your computer. Make sure you are grounded before touching any internal components. Static electricity can fry your motherboard! If you don't have an anti-static wriststrap, then make sure you touch the metal frame and keep one arm on the frame the whole time you are working inside.

When you open it up blow it out with a can of compressed air. You can get a can at just about any department store for about three bucks. Take it outside to blow it out (the dust goes everywhere).

When you remove the heatsink, make sure you remove all of the old thermal paste. I usually use a razor blade to scrape it off.

A paper thin layer of thermal paste is all you need when you apply the new stuff. Yes, you can use too much. Make sure you get a good, even layer on the CPU and you should be good to go.

After you have done that, start your computer back up and check your temps again.
      Save a Life!
      Adopt a homeless pet.
      http://www.petfinder.com/

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #19 on: January 03, 2009, 09:00:33 AM »
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

monkeyboy_2008

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2009, 02:16:54 PM »
        Okay thanks. I do have an anti-static wriststrap, so that's okay. I'll apply the paste today, then recheck my temps.

If i've cleaned it out, and applied more paste, without the external fan running, if the temperatures are still too high, what would be your suggestions? Get more fans? I don't think my brother had any problems when he was using the computer...

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #21 on: January 03, 2009, 02:39:04 PM »
        I think if you do all the above properly you will see your temps go down to where you don't need an external fan...

monkeyboy_2008

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2009, 11:41:48 PM »
          Okay... I don't know what happened... I opened it up, brought out the CPU fan, it had some of the previous Thermal paste still on it, as well as on the chip...

I think I may have done this wrong... I left the old stuff on, and just put a new coat over the stuff on the fan, and then put the fan back in, put all the stuff back with my computer and booted it up.

I checked the temperatures again and here's what they say:

What did I do?! Should I take off all the thermal paste and reapply a thin layer??

JJ 3000

Egghead
          • Experience: Familiar
          « Reply #23 on: January 04, 2009, 12:11:03 AM »
          Yes. Remove the old paste first.
          Did you check out Patio's link?
          Save a Life!
          Adopt a homeless pet.
          http://www.petfinder.com/

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #24 on: January 04, 2009, 07:05:19 AM »
          I was gonna say..... ::)

monkeyboy_2008

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2009, 01:36:51 PM »
            Yeah I did check out the link... But I didn't know which one to choose  ???

I'm really behind in the whole hardware aspect of things, and I need to learn more. I don't know exactly what paste I have, and what CPU core I have... I'm hopeless  :'(

The paste I have is called "MX-2" Made by Arctic Cooling (www.arctic-cooling.com)
            I think that it's the "Arctic Alumina: Premium High-Density Thermal Compound", that or the Ceramique stuff...

For my CPU I don't really know... I think it's the "Arctic Alumina Instructions for a Large Single Core Intel CPU w/Heatspreader"   But I don't really know for sure... I need to learn this stuff.

Thanks for all the help, and persistance with an unknowledgable guy like me  :-\

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #26 on: January 04, 2009, 01:41:19 PM »
            The instructions can be for any of those products...they come in .pdf format so if you do not have it DLoad and install Foxit reader to see them...

monkeyboy_2008

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2009, 01:43:28 PM »
              Okay, nevermind it's an Intel Core 2 Duo Processor. I'll follow the instructions for that one.

monkeyboy_2008

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2009, 02:54:55 PM »
                Okay, I followed the instructions, mine didn't look exactly like the one on the site, but it was close enough. I redid Temps, here they are:

I'm happy again  ;D

Another issue, that seems to have come about lately, is that my computer is really slow starting up... I don't know if that's a CPU issue, but I think I might re-image, to an image i made a little while back. Hopefully it will clean out any garbage I might have gained since.

I'll see if the game crashes at all... although if it does, it will take a little while ^_^

Thanks for all the help, and if I have any other issues I know where to go  ;)

EDIT: Oh, by the way, on SpeedFan, all of the objects should ideally have a green arrow beside them right? Do my temps look okay? Or what could I do to make everything green? :D

patio

• Genius
                • Maud' Dib
                  • Yes
                « Reply #29 on: January 04, 2009, 03:44:18 PM »
                A blue down arrow is just as good to see as a green check...