Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: what Graphics Card should i get?  (Read 2027 times)

Baller

Topic Starter

Rookie

what Graphics Card should i get?
    « on: December 28, 2008, 03:12:54 PM »
    alright well i got a bit of money for christmas and i decided i'd like to upgrade my graphics card.  im currently using the 256 MB ATI x1300.  my computer is using PCI Express ports for the card.

im a gamer and plan on playing new games so i need at least a 512 MB card.  wut do u think the best would be for me to get considering that the max of my price range is about $250.

also i was wondering if u think i would need a new power source to use a much more powerful card.

my computer is a DELL DIMENSION E520.  ill check back later tonite, thanks in advance!

hejlik

Hopeful

• Have a GREAT day!!
      Re: what Graphics Card should i get?
      « Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 03:29:46 PM »
      I would bet you will need a better ps.

It would be nice to have a few specs so we could help you. Processor/ ram/ current power supply just to name the most important. My guess is your current system will  bottleneck a top end card.
      Dan

No matter where you go    there you are.

ASUS P5B DELUXE, Intel Core 2 Duo E6400, CORSAIR XMS2 4GB DDR2 800, GeForce 7900GS, SeaSonic EPS12V 500W Power Supply, Western Digital Caviar 160GB SATA Hard Drive

Baller

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 04:27:19 PM »
        its intel core 2 duo 1.8 GHz processor
        2 GB of ram
        im using vista(not sure if that matters)

im not sure how to find what power source i have, any help?

hejlik

Hopeful

• Have a GREAT day!!
          « Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 04:34:52 PM »
          Most power supplies have a tag on the back or bottom.

If it were me, I would just plan on buying a new, quality power supply. A power supply that does not provide enough power, or is not of good quality can cause all kinds of problems.
          Dan

No matter where you go    there you are.

ASUS P5B DELUXE, Intel Core 2 Duo E6400, CORSAIR XMS2 4GB DDR2 800, GeForce 7900GS, SeaSonic EPS12V 500W Power Supply, Western Digital Caviar 160GB SATA Hard Drive

Baller

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 04:46:29 PM »
            alright well i wasnt able to see any lable or tag but i assume its a firly standard dell power supply, the computer is only about 2 years old.

killerb255

Adviser
              • Experience: Expert
              « Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 07:43:38 PM »
              Depending on your budget, get an ATI Radeon HD 4850 if you don't want to spend more than $200 or a 4870 if you do.

As for power supply, make sure it's at least 550W with multiple +12V rails.  It should also have a dedicated connector that connects to your video card.
              Quote from: talontromper
              Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.

Baller

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2008, 08:22:15 PM »
                ya i think i will go with the 4850 thanks.  i was wondering what the difference was bettween ddr3 and ddr2 cards and which one will be better for me, what do u guys think?