Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: A lil help with windows 98se installation  (Read 4347 times)

stuckw/windows

Topic Starter

Starter

A lil help with windows 98se installation
    « on: December 29, 2008, 05:11:41 PM »
    hi, my uncle has an old windows 95 computer n he would like to upgrade it to win 98se. he got a win 98se upgrade cd from someone. i tried installing with OS and without it. but the setup still asks for the same thing " insert disk 1 and then press ok."  it doesnt say what disk. i read in some forum that i need windows 3.1 disks in order to get rid of that message. someone please help!!! And if you have those disks or a site for them please send the URL to : [email removed]
     thank you in advance!
    « Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 07:00:28 PM by Zylstra »

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
      • Yes
      • Technology News and Information
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: A lil help with windows 98se installation
    « Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 07:04:29 PM »
    I removed your email address to prevent SPAM, since spam bots come on this and many other sites, and look around for email addresses to spam.

(Even if you already get it, and it gets filtered correctly, you will just end up getting more, I know, I've been there)

Anyways, did this computer once have Windows 3.11 on it?
    Most 3.11 computers are not capible of running Windows 98. Many 3.11 computers were also 16 bit, though Windows 3.0 supported 32 bit systems. Its like how, today, we have 64 bit systems, and we have a 64 bit version of nearly every OS, but, still, the majority of the world continues to run the 32 bit system...
    Windows 95 is 32 bit only, so, that means that the computer is 32 bit. However, you should post your system requirements. Windows 98, compared to 95, is a resource hog, and will take up a lot more.

Heck, a computer that old can hardly do anything without crashing. You might almost consider a new computer, but, obviously, there is a reason you must still be using the old computer, and thus, we shall continue to troubleshoot the problem.

Also, Does the computer have a CD drive? Do you have the original Windows 95 floppy disks ("Insert Disk 1 and press OK" tells me that you originally installed Windows 95 with a floppy, not a CD)

stuckw/windows

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 09:50:49 AM »
      this computer has windows 95 on it.  i looked at the win 98se requirements and the computer fits the requirements. windows 95 was installed with a cd. please help!!!

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 11:50:26 AM »
      windows 3.1 is a 16-bit program, but 386 enhanced mode uses a select few 32-bit functions.

The last 16-bit computer in the x86 line was the 80286; and that was introduced in around 86, almost 4 or 5 years before windows 3.1/3.11.

Anyway, back to the problem at hand.

Since you've got an Upgrade installation of windows 98, it needs to verify that you have windows 95, (and so asks for disks..) However, If you also performed an upgrade install of windows 95, you might also need windows 3.1 disk 1, in addition to the windows 95 CD.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Dias de verano

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 12:35:18 PM »
      The other thing that makes a CD installation ask for a floppy disk is a damaged CD.