Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: harddrive issue  (Read 10866 times)

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: harddrive issue
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2009, 08:25:50 PM »
Oh Ye of little Faith.....
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2009, 03:31:07 PM »
    I hooked it to another machine as a sloave or addional space.  I ment that the machine that I was going to hook it up too is working fine with out it.  The thing is that this was going to be a main drive in the machine. 
    Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #32 on: January 16, 2009, 04:40:01 PM »
    Code: [Select]
    The thing is that this was going to be a main drive in the machine.
    Did you mean to say you wanted to put Windows 2000 on one big 160GB drive? You said something about a stata drive. Can you put Windows 200 directly onto a sata drive? Don't you have to use IDE emulation. Never done it. Just asking.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #33 on: January 16, 2009, 06:38:55 PM »
    yep- if it's SATA you need to change the SATA mode from AHCI to "compatibility" or something similar to install either XP, 2000, or ... well any OS previous. Unless of course you have the SATA drivers.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2009, 10:33:04 AM »
      Its IDE yes I wanted to put 2k on it, the sata boots xp proffesional.  however,  I get a hd error when running hd tune says its unpluged an that it shows up as a usb device that acts like it was unpluged before stopping it.  Im not doing anything to it.  Just freezes then.  If I have too I'll get a new drive but this one was free.  I just got a new playstation so funds are lagging at the moment.
      Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #35 on: January 19, 2009, 10:51:49 AM »
      An observation here...
      You are consistently broke...
      All your HDD's are as broke as you are and give you issues...
      You are always trying to rescue hardware that is given to you/died long long ago...
      You don't follow the advice given...
      You are a prolific Thread starter...

Other than that...carry on.

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2009, 10:58:14 AM »
        thanks but if you read my one post a while ago you would realize that half the time I cant all ways check your replies but cause I have classes now it will be easier.  I dont have a job an when I get funds I try an make them last till I get more.  Thats true but every here a penny saved is one earned?  If I can use old stuff then there isnt much need to replace it unless you have too.  Patio I come from a middle class family an personal at the moment we cant be like some people.  But I only really had four drives fail on me. 

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #37 on: January 19, 2009, 12:37:52 PM »
        Code: [Select]
        But I only really had four drives fail on me.Where do you get your drives.
        Middle  class? Penny Saved?  ::)
        If lyou are middle class and want to save a penny,
        never buy a SATA drive!
        Byte for Byte, the IDE drive is always a better bargain.
        They grow on trees!
        New ones come with a five year warranty.
        Refurbished ones come with a 1 year warranty.
        You can get a 40GB IDE for about $25, refurbished.
        So that is about $2 a month for 40GB of storage . What do you pay for your Internet? Your Cable TV? your Cell phone? Do they give you 40GB of storage per month?  If you need more that 40GB, you are spnding too much time
        downloading games, music and videos and not enough on doing productive study.

Middle class people throw things away.
        Do you save the plastic forks they give you at Burger King? NO!
        You throw them away!
        When a SMART drive says it is wore out, you toss it!
        To try and save it is like saving a cracked plastic fork!  ;D

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2009, 01:02:22 PM »
          I have a sata drive but the thing is that I have a lot more that use ide.  nothing dial up is free comes with my dads job.  dont have it.  tracphone usually my grandmother.  attucally we do, just cause it saves money.  so then we can get things that cost more if I went around thinking like that Id be broke.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #39 on: January 19, 2009, 04:41:42 PM »
          I'm personally one step below middle class...

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          « Reply #40 on: January 19, 2009, 06:31:13 PM »
          For me, if a Drive started whining about impending failure, I, of course, buy a new drive. But I save the other one for my crazy operating system experiments on my old computer.
          I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2009, 10:55:07 AM »
            Thats probably why we all like you patio that wont change.  Yes, I do as well but its not thrashing or anything like that.