Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: windows xp and itunes download error win32 not valid app  (Read 11781 times)

pegs

Topic Starter

Starter

windows xp and itunes download error win32 not valid app
    « on: January 04, 2009, 05:04:20 PM »
    I am sure we are not the only ones, but we get the 'not a valid win32 application' when trying to load the itunes software for a new ipod.  Any suggestions?

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
      • Yes
      • Technology News and Information
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: windows xp and itunes download error win32 not valid app
    « Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 07:38:05 PM »
    Have you tried downloading iTunes from the Apple website?
    Download iTunes here:
    http://filehippo.com/download_itunes/

Also, have you tried just using another program? If you have Windows Media Player, I would just use that. Apple is overly controlling over their software, and they will change the format of your music, and they participate in something called "Digital Rights Media", (or DRM,) which basically protects you from copyrighting your music, and controls what devices it will be able to play on... in a sense at least.

But, some people like iTunes, and more power to them...

socrates

Apprentice

• I know nothing except for the fact of my ignorance
      • Yes
    « Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 02:57:53 PM »
    Actually, iTunes will not change the format of your music.

You are thinking of the AAC format, which is mp4.  By default iTunes will import your NEW music as aac, unless you change the format to whatever your preference is.  Why does it do this?  AAC (and the setting it's set at) is a higher quality than your default mp3 (128 kbps or 160 kbps usually). 

I should also mention that any mp3s that are brought into iTunes will remain mp3's by default.  You can, if you'd like, set up iTunes to automatically organize your music.  If you do this, it will then copy any music you import in to the iTunes folder (of your choice) and convert them to whatever your preference was set to for the music format.

Windows Media Player does the exact same thing, except without the benefits.  It converts (by default) any new music to .wma... which can ONLY be used with windows media player (unless you download some plugin or 3rd party app).  It also doesn't make the quality of the music better than a 160 kbps mp3. 

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 03:21:48 PM »
    socrates, by "new music" you mean when you rip it from a CD, correct?

AAC is a lossless format too, though, I believe, so it's bound to be higher quality.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

socrates

Apprentice

• I know nothing except for the fact of my ignorance
      • Yes
    « Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 07:56:24 AM »
    socrates, by "new music" you mean when you rip it from a CD, correct?

AAC is a lossless format too, though, I believe, so it's bound to be higher quality.

Yes, I'm referring to music ripped from a CD.  Music that is "new" as in new to the digital world.  If you take mp3s and throw them into itunes you'd still have mp3's, unless you chose the option I was mentioning before about having iTunes make a copy of all imported music.

You are also correct in that AAC is a lossless format, so it is higher quality.