Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Vista Won't boot  (Read 2418 times)

s-mac

Topic Starter

Rookie
    Vista Won't boot
    « on: January 06, 2009, 02:45:32 AM »
    I recently just moved to Australia...

I Switched the little red switch, got the new plug and all that. Computer turns on fine, but Vista won't boot at all.
    When I turned it on, I waited, it said Windows did not start correctly. So I selected start normally and I got flashed a blue screen(yes, that one) for maybe 1 second and it rebooted. I tried Safe mode, last known good config, but it just keeps going to that 'did not boot properly screen' I tried putting in the disc I installed with(which IS bootable) but it completely ignored it.

After a while I managed to get some info from that blue screen, it said there may be something wrong with hardware or software..When I first turn on, my CPU is recognized, all 2GB of RAM are OK, and obviously my video cards working because...well I can see. The only thing I don't know about is my hard drive, which after the plane ride, I'm quite worried about. The Vista loading screen will show, but it never gets passed there, I'm hoping that means my hard drives ok.

So pretty much, I can't use my computer, and I just bought it 3 new games.
    Reformatting is not an option, I have too much irrecoverable data(silly me didn't back up) on it. If I have absolutely no other choice, only then will I consider doing so...just throwing that out there.

I have a HP Pavilion a6250z
    Asus M2N68-LA Mobo(It's one of those HP propetiery ones)
    AMD Athlon64 X2 5000+ 2.6GHz
    2GB 667MHz DDR2RAM
    Geforce 8600GT 512MB
    WDC 250GB Sata Hard drive.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Vista Won't boot
    « Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 08:48:29 AM »
    If your data is a priority your safest bet would be to remove the HDD and hook it up as a slave drive in another working machine and retrieve/burn your important data.
    It should be hooked up to the SATA 2 or higher connector on the MBoard so the other machine doesn't try to boot from it...
    After finishing that replace it in your machine and you can try a Repair Install of Vista. This will if done properly keep all your apps and data intact and once finished you should be able to power down and re-boot directly into Vista.
    I suggest reading thru it and printing out a copy before starting the procedure.

Good Luck.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "