Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Is this problem related to the HD or something else?  (Read 2414 times)

sakka

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Is this problem related to the HD or something else?
    « on: January 04, 2009, 08:00:00 PM »
    Hi there!

I have quite a dilemma. Some months ago my laptop accidentally hit our hardwood floors with quite a bang. It was off for several days, without any luck of turning it on. Then, suddenly, one evening I pressed the power button and it came to life.  ::)  From then on, it's been frequently freezing and I'll have to tap the computer or shake it to resume.  Normally I would have just backed up and bought a new hard drive, but this laptop has a lot of programs that I no longer have the discs for.   I was able to back up most of it a while ago, but then mysteriously my external hard drive stopped working and DVD writing is not even possible on here due to the frequent freezing.

Just recently it died for at least two weeks and that was the last straw for me. Programs or not, I just needed to get my important pictures and files off of there so I wouldn't have to pay $300 for data recovery. (I'd already done that with another laptop!!!) 

Two nights ago I took it to a friend's house who took the hard drive out and tried it on his (Mac) computer.  It didn't spin up. He put it back in and we sat around talking for half an hour, during which I kept poking the power button. Then, suddenly, it -- again -- sprung to life.  ??? (Fortunately that provided us an opportunity to back up my files!)

I just am confused, the hard drive runs fine when not freezing...  Could this be a problem with the connection inside the laptop from the motherboard to the hard drive or something?  I would love to be able to keep the same hard drive, but will sacrifice the programs if I need to get a new hard drive. Or is there a way to duplicate the data - create an image? somehow?

Even now it will freeze up unless I position it a certain way or have pressure on a certain part of the laptop. Does anyone have any thoughts on what I could do or what might be causing the problem -- if it sounds definitely like a hard drive problem or rather a connection problem? I would greatly appreciate it.

ChrisXPPro

Adviser

• Forever Learning
      • ACB Systems
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Is this problem related to the HD or something else?
    « Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 08:32:32 PM »
    It does seem to me as tho the bearings for the plattens may have been disturbed thru the impact trauma ... and so chances are that poor HDD is close to the graveyard! 

Your mention of critical positioning to get it running is what makes me think this.  Maybe too - even the head arm/arms have suffered even tho they are very low mass ... but if data can be retrieved at all then misalignment perhaps within bounds.
    Ain't technology great - until it goes wrong!

sakka

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 01:07:15 AM »
      Hi Chris,

Thanks for your reply.

Is there any way to duplicate my hard drive contents so I can retain my operating system settings, programs, etc.? Or is the only way to start from a new drive, new install of everything?

Thank you!!
      Sara

ChrisXPPro

Adviser

• Forever Learning
        • ACB Systems
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 09:39:32 AM »
      I fear a fresh start is probably the only realistic option.  First priority, providing you can achieve it, is rescuing the valuable data and at least have that backed up.

Only way to manage re the OS and programs on there would seem to be managing to have the thing running long enough to produce an ISO image that could be burned to DVD or CDs ..... using something like Acronis but - I rather doubt this would be easy - tho worthy of consideration.
      Ain't technology great - until it goes wrong!

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 09:59:04 AM »
      Your options depend on what your goals for the machine are...
      do you
      A) Plan on replacing the drive and still using the laptop even though the same issues may occur from internal damage ?
      Or
      B) Plan on just saving all your apps and data for another machine ? /
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

ras58396

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 03:25:09 PM »
        My son had a similar experience after dropping his laptop.  It turned out to be the motherboard.

sakka

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 08:44:58 PM »
          Hi guys - thanks soooo much for your helpful posts.

I'm on the computer right now. It can run ... if I hold it in the right position!!  ::)

I have got all the important data off, and have no doubt that I would be able to make an ISO . Burning it to a disc, is another matter. It did not like when I tried to burn a disc before.

patio, I don't care if it is a new computer or new hard drive in my old computer -- I just would like to be able to keep all my programs. I was thinking ISO so we'll see. . .

If the motherboard is broken, I would have to get a new laptop...right?

ras58396

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 11:15:15 AM »
            The quote that I got was in the $400 range.  I didn't try elsewhere.  It was time to upgrade to a new laptop anyway.