Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need help again w/Vista & Word  (Read 2503 times)

debby

Topic Starter

Hopeful

Need help again w/Vista & Word
    « on: February 02, 2009, 05:07:43 PM »
    I bought Word 2000 on eBay. It is brand new, never been opened package.  The seller appeared to be very reputable.  I loaded the CD in my CD tray and closed it.  The CD sounded like it started, but nothing ever happened.  So I went to Add Hardware, the Wizard told me (that's funny...the Wizard told me!) to use the CD. The booklet that came with it said I could use the default installation: c:\ProgramFiles\MicrosoftOffice\ and when I did that, a window came up telling me that the location is  unavailable, make sure the disk is in, you are connected to the Internet, try again and if it still cannot be located, the information might have moved to another location.  That was about as clear as mud to me.  Can anyone help?  Oh, and it has the product key code on it and I am running Vista.

Thanks  -  Debby

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Need help again w/Vista & Word
    « Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 05:59:59 PM »
    ... I went to Add Hardware, the Wizard told me (that's funny...the Wizard told me!) to use the CD.

Why did you go to Add Hardware?  You're trying to add software, not hardware.

And, you meant you purchased Office 2000, not just Word 2000, right?  Does that CD have a Microsoft label on the top side?  Where, exactly, did you find the product key?

debby

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 09:29:25 PM »
      Yes, on the disk it says Microsoft Word 2000.  There is a booklet that came with it and the Product key code is on the cover of the booklet and right above the numbers and bar code it says Certificate of Authenticity.  The key code looks like a label when you are looking at the booklet, but it actually is part of the page, no stuck-on label.  I went to Add Hardware for stupidity!  My mind-set is still on XP where you can go to Add or Remove Programs.  I'm not used to Vista yet and so far with as little as I know about computers, I do not like it.  However, I am thinking I have a bad disk.  Totally baffled!!

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 08:20:49 AM »
      Yes, a bad disk may be the problem here.  Can you try installing it on another computer, just for testing purposes?  Of course, don't go through the software registration process on some other computer used just for testing.