Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: No "Fn key" on Microsoft IntelliType Pro keyboard - which key can I use?  (Read 24581 times)

jonnyD

Topic Starter

Intermediate

I am trying to get my computer hooked up to my TV to play movies from my hard drive. 

TV: Sony Trinitron model # KV-32S25  32" analog TV (built in 1997). I just inherited it; no cash for a new digital TV.  On the back of the TV it has Video In 1: a 4-pin s-video port and right below that,  R W & Y RCA jacks.  Video 2 has just the RCA jacks.  Also, there's an Audio Out (VAR /FIX) set of RCA's white & red only.

Computer:  Windows XP Pro version 2002, SP3; AMD Athlon XP 2400+; 1.5GB RAM; NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Display Adapter; Gateway 19" LCD Monitor; Microsoft IntelliType Pro wireless keyboard

My initial game plan was to attach an s-video cable from the back of my computer to the TV.  (Being a novice at all this multi-media stuff, I didn't even realize I need a separate cable for the sound!!).  Having read all kinds of info on the web, I did this: with the TV and the computer off, I hooked up the s-video cable between the TV and the computer; powered them both up; switched TV to Video 1 (I figured that's where it needs to be since the s-video port is located above RCA jacks under the Video 1 column (see above); on computer I went into display and made the resolution 800 x 600 (read that somewhere); AND THEN - I was supposed to be able to switch the display output to the TV from my computer by hitting a combination of Fn + one of the F keys.

My dilemma: my IntelliTouch keyboard does not have an Fn key and having looked through its manual and scoured the internet, I don't know that another key will provide the Fn function.  Do I have to get another keyboard (I hope not) or is there some other key that provides the Fn function on my current keyboard? 

Also, while not even having conquered the video portion of this project, I realize that the back of my computer does not have any RCA jacks (I'm now thinking I may need those for sound).  Currently I get sound for my computer from a pair of external harman/kardon speakers that plug into the back of the computer by means of a 1/4" jack - and work beautifully, with excellent sound.  Do I need to get some sort of sound card with RCA jacks for the computer/TV sound hookup? or is it possible to get some sort of RCA to 1/4" plug cable?  Would that work?

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: No "Fn key" on Microsoft IntelliType Pro keyboard - which key can I use?
    « Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 03:02:34 PM »
    You could map that FN key to another unused key in Windows such as use the "[" or "]" key mapped as FN. I have used this freeware before and it works well for remapping a keyboard with keys it may be lacking. Requires DOTNET Framework 2.0 to operate. http://mapkeyboard.inchwest.qarchive.org/

jonnyD

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 03:16:40 PM »
      What is DOTNET Framework 2.0?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 03:25:29 PM »
      Wait. Where does it say "Fn" key? That is not a standard thing on a standard keyboard. Can you check your documantation to be sure?
      Also, did your computer come with a wireless keyboard as a stock item? Does it not have a standard keyboard. And why do you even need the keyboard? Doesn't the thing have a TV controller that can do everything other that bake bread?  ???

jonnyD

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 08:28:44 PM »
        I read about the Fn key online somewhere as I was trying to learn how to hook up my computer to TV with the s-video cable.  I notice that laptops have an Fn key.  My computer was not a store bought one.  It was put together by someone for me.  My original keyboard does not have the Fn key either.
        Doesn't the thing have a TV controller that can do everything other that bake bread?  ???
          What is "the thing" you refer to? The TV? The computer??

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 08:50:12 PM »
        Your new TV has a controller. And you do not control it via the S-video output.

Your video card has two outputs. Right? The reference to a Fn key is for a laptop.A dual output Video card does not have to switch between the outputs. Some laptops also allow you to use both at the same time.

The Fn function is standard on many laptops. I never heard of a desktop video card that wants you to hit the Fn key. What document were you reading. The documentation for the TV?

Anyway, it should work with not problem. It is when you have a laptop it is a problem. :)