Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows xp will not start  (Read 1836 times)

Grendle

Topic Starter

Windows xp will not start
    « on: January 14, 2009, 07:11:17 AM »
    My wife tried to load a program onto our computer and as it was loading the program the computer gave a message something to the effect of: Windows is shutting down to protect your computer.  Then the computer shut down.  We tried to restart the computer and got the following results:  The monitor displayed the HP manufacturer page with the select start function keys; then without pushing the keys, the screen goes black with a cursor in the top left corner.  Nothing else happens.  Over the next couple of times I tried to restart I tried cycling through the function keys, one key at a time to no avail.  Then I tried the esc key to select start from the cd.  It would let me select the cd, but I got the same results of the black screen with the cursor in the top left corner.  Please help. ???     The computer has a gig of ram and an Nvidia video card.  The processor is a Pentium D dual core, I don't recall the speed of it though.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Windows xp will not start
    « Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 07:14:11 AM »
    What program was this?

Do you have the Windows XP CD?

Grendle

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 09:28:34 AM »
      I don't know the name of the program, but it was a picture modification program that we had a CD for.  It wasn't anything that we downloaded from the internet.  Yes, I have the recovery CD for the computer, plus I have a widows xp boot CD that is separate.  I have tried to boot from both, but have the same results.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 02:12:31 AM »
      Just to make sure, do you have the Microsoft Windows XP Professional/Home Disc (covered with the word Microsoft in holograms).

Also, what was the program? Can you find out with the disc?