Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Install Vista Themes - my son's computer has stopped working! UxThem.dll missing  (Read 5830 times)

KerryE

Topic Starter

Beginner

My son decided to update a theme on his computer running Vista - using this site http://www.guimods.com/tutorial-how-to-install-and-use-vista-themes-and-visual-styles/

He has done steps 1-13 but now when turning on the computer we get error messages...

''dwn.exe Unable to locate component...This application has failed to start because UxThem.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem'' - if we click OK, then we get message

''explorer.exe - Unable to locate component...This application has failed to start because UxThem.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem''

Then a window comes up saying something like ''tying to fix problem'' - then another message comes up

''Microsoft Windows - Windows Explorer has stopped working.  A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will notify you if a solution is available'' then if you click on the 'close program' nothing else happens!

There is another message box earlier which says ''Windows calender has stopped working...''

What do we do? (there is some vital data on the hard disk which I must not lose!)  ???
    « Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 05:07:27 PM by KerryE »

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    sounds like you didn't replace uxtheme.dll or themeui.dll.

Do you have a Windows DVD?
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

KerryE

Topic Starter

Beginner

We have the 'Maxdata' original Vista cd that comes with the system.

Also, cant start in safe mode, just get a black screen with 'safe mode' in the corner but cant do anything.

How do you do a Vista System Restore from the cd? Is this the way to go?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      We have the 'Maxdata' original Vista cd that comes with the system.

Also, cant start in safe mode, just get a black screen with 'safe mode' in the corner but cant do anything.

How do you do a Vista System Restore from the cd? Is this the way to go?

If it's a retail Vista CD, you should be able to boot from it, and run a system repair.

KerryE

Topic Starter

Beginner

If it's a retail Vista CD, you should be able to boot from it, and run a system repair.

Do you know of a link that will give easy to follow instructions on how to do?

many thanks

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com

KerryE

Topic Starter

Beginner

;D ;D ;D ;D SUCCESS  ;D ;D ;D

Many thanks.

I must say that seems a neat vista trick to restore from a few days ago without losing personel data.