Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: USB 2.0 ports showing as 1.1?  (Read 2228 times)

foxyfmu

Topic Starter

USB 2.0 ports showing as 1.1?
    « on: January 19, 2009, 01:41:26 PM »
    Hi there. I have an XP computer with SP3 installed. But I think I was having this problem before SP3. I've got several Usb 2.0 ports and they are 2.0, labelled as such on the case and also in device manager "standard enhanced PCI to USB host controller" - means it is 2.0 right? However if I plug something into the port it pops up with the message "this device can perform faster.."

Any ideas? I've seen a couple of things about re-installing the drivers would they be on the win xp cd?

thanks in advance

Kurtiskain

Mentor

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: USB 2.0 ports showing as 1.1?
    « Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 02:31:22 PM »
    The drivers will be stores in the driver cache in the system folders, so don't worry about the XP CD.

The drivers may simply need a refresh, mine have done the same a few times  :)

Unplug all USB devices apart from Mouse and Keyboard, Otherwise you cannot do anything obviously  ;D in which case you will want a PS/2 mouse and keyboard handy, as this requires uninstalling the USB drivers.

Simply push the start button and click Run.

type in devmgmt.msc

Once the device manager opens, at the bottom will be your USB controllers.

Uninstall them from top to bottom, by right clicking th items and selecting uninstall, you will get an error, but this is nothing to worry about, click ok for all of them.

Once all USB related drivers have been removed, reboot your machine and USB drivers will automatically reinstall, and then try your USB devices again.

spacecat9

Beginner

• Hardware Guru
      « Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 04:02:38 PM »
      Check the bios setting may be set to legacy. or usb 2 function may be disabled.
      Hope all goes well.

Spacecat9 :)

foxyfmu

Topic Starter

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 01:37:57 PM »
        The drivers will be stores in the driver cache in the system folders, so don't worry about the XP CD.....

Thanks, worked perfectly!