Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: windows media player overrides my file names  (Read 2243 times)

seraficus

windows media player overrides my file names
« on: February 16, 2009, 08:28:38 AM »
I am trying to use WMP's function of retrieving track information for ripped CDs from the internet, but I want to be able to give my own names to the resulting audio files.  (For instance, if WMP creates a folder for an opera recording based on the name of one of the artists, I want to change the folder name to the title of the opera.)  My problem is that after renaming folders as I wish, the next time I go on line I find that WMP has forced the folders back into the names it thinks they should have.  I cannot find anything in the settings to instruct the player to leave changed folder names as I have defined them.  Anyone know how?  Thanks

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: windows media player overrides my file names
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 10:29:38 AM »
What about:

Tools->Options, Library Tab, and the two radio buttons under the "retrieve additional information from the internet" checkbox?

Set it to "Only add missing information" I would suspect that it might be set to overwrite it all.

You could also disable the automatic retrieval by unselecting the checkbox. You will still be able to right click and select "Find album info" before ripping to populate the track names and other information.

Hope this helps!
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.