Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Post Upgrade Checklist  (Read 2207 times)

Zorgon

Topic Starter

Rookie

Post Upgrade Checklist
    « on: January 27, 2009, 06:41:20 PM »
    I have recently upgraded my computer and replaced everything except the case and eventually replaced it with a Coolermaster because the new system ran hotter than my old system.  I am having an audio-video sync problem with every program I use to run video (Nero7, Vegas Movie Studio 8, Windows Media Player).  The video runs smoothly but is just out of sync.  I know the basic things to do like updating drivers but could someone give me a checklist or send me a link of everything that should be done after upgrading so I can rule out the basic things that may cause this problem?

These are my system specs

OS - XP Home Edition 2002 Version SP3
    Processor - AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5600+ 2.91 GHz
    RAM - 3.5 GB
    MB - ASUS M2N-E
    HD - WD 250 GB SATA
    VC - NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 512

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
      • Yes
      • Technology News and Information
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Post Upgrade Checklist
    « Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 06:46:04 PM »
    First, are you using the same hard drive as before? and if so, did you just stick it into the new computer?
    If you did, thats the most of the problem.

Have you tried uninstalling all of the video and sound drivers, then restarting the computers?
    And did you search for the individual drivers on the manufacturer website? Or use the ones that came on a CD or the ones provided by Windows?

Zorgon

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 07:08:50 PM »
      Thanks for the quick reply.  I am using a hard drive that I had previously used with another system.  Are you saying I shouldn't use it at all or are you saying I should erase it before I use it?
      About the drivers, should I use the ones that came on disk or get them from the manufacturers website?

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
        • Yes
        • Technology News and Information
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 06:53:07 PM »
      Thanks for the quick reply.  I am using a hard drive that I had previously used with another system.  Are you saying I shouldn't use it at all or are you saying I should erase it before I use it?
      About the drivers, should I use the ones that came on disk or get them from the manufacturers website?
      I'm saying you should erase (or reformat) or reinstall Windows before you use that drive.

I would get the drivers from the website, since they will be more updated.