Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Keyboard skips  (Read 7239 times)

02bin3

Keyboard skips
« on: January 29, 2009, 12:36:08 PM »
This is a very strange problem that I am having with keyboards.  Notice the plural.  I have replaced my keyboard 3 times because I am having a problem with it skipping letters and spaces.  When the problem persisted after the second replacement I thought that I was literally loosing my touch on the keys but that isn't the case as I can type fine on my old IBM electric typewriter.  With each replacement I have used the driver that came with the board and I am still having a problem with skipped letters and spacing.  It is almost as if sometimes it can't keep up with my typing but I am not an especially fast typist.  About 45wpm and 60 on a good day.  I am beginning to think that maybe the problem is with Windows XP.  The problem exists whether I am typing on a Word document or in an email on the internet.  I have a 300 GB hard drive, 2 GB of Memory so there is no problem of a program running slow from lack of memory.  All of the boards have been Logitech, although I can't imagine that would be a problem as they seem to have cornered the market on boards and mice.  I have Microsoft Office 97 (never needed anything more than that).  Has anyone else out there ever had this problem and if so I'd be happy to know how or if you resolved it?  Thanks, Carol D.

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Keyboard skips
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 02:55:03 PM »
Good test to see if it cant keep up is open up notepad or word etc and hold down a letter key and watch the screen. The characters should flow out continuous without any pauses in their production to the application. If the creation of these characters seems not continuous then your system is having a difficulty and its not your keyboard(s).

Also test the continuous flow of characters both with 97 and say notepad or windows wordpad to see if there is any temporary skips in the character creation to eliminate an application issue.

Also is it just specific characters more than others or random. If its more likely one character over the other, test the character creation holing that key down and see for continuous creation of the characters like KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK K with a smooth evenly time created per letter with no lag, skipped spaces like KKKKKKK  KKKKKK  KKKKKK KKKK or pauses

Are you using PS2 keyboard or USB?