Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: networking solaris 8 with my xp box and going online  (Read 4030 times)

flir11

Topic Starter

networking solaris 8 with my xp box and going online
    « on: January 29, 2009, 02:41:20 PM »
    i am rookie. i need to know how to get online and share files with my xp box. i have solaris 8(intel) on a dell box. xp on dell box. both run through a 4 port hub then to dsl router. can my solaris box use this to get online? how can i share files on my xp box? i set up dhcp on the solaris box. looks like the router gave it an ip address(192.168.1.44, loopback 127.0.0.1).  router is 192.168.1.1.  i can ping router and xp box from solaris terminal window.... please help....

Doug Vitale

Beginner

• Was that so hard?
      • Doug Vitale Tech Blog
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: networking solaris 8 with my xp box and going online
    « Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 09:44:50 AM »
    First you would have to set up a network share on Windows XP. Right-click the folder holding the files you want to share and choose Properies. Then go to the Sharing Tab.

Then you would have to install Samba on Solaris. Samba allows Linux/UNIX hosts to interact with a Windows server as if it were a Windows client.

You know, Solaris 8 is a nine-year-old operating system. You might want to look into upgrading to Solaris 10:

http://opensolaris.org/os/downloads/