Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can you setup a firewall (Hardware) on a single computer?  (Read 8205 times)

Briguy

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Can you setup a firewall (Hardware) on a single computer?
    « on: January 30, 2009, 04:07:50 PM »
    I was wondering if it's a smart idea to install a firewall (hardware) on a single computer that is not hooked up to a network but is hooked to cable internet? Can it be done? Mostly I've seen them on networks and I was wondering if installing it on a single pc is overkill on protection?

Thanks!
    « Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 04:54:54 PM by Briguy »

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Can you setup a firewall (Hardware) on a single computer?
    « Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 05:38:17 PM »
    Yes, you certainly can set up a firewall on a single computer.  It is probably a good idea to do so.  Try the free version of Comodo, for example, HERE.

I have used Comodo on a desktop computer and laptop computer.

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

Briguy

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 05:46:09 PM »
      No dude I'm not talking about software. I'm talking about something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122081

Broni

Mastermind
      • Kraków my love :)
        • Computer Help Forum
      • Computer: Specs
      « Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 06:47:46 PM »
      Besides from pretty bad reviews on that site, I think, it's a pricey overkill.
      Get a router for half the price, and you'll get hardware firewall as well.

Briguy

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 07:40:39 PM »
        Besides from pretty bad reviews on that site, I think, it's a pricey overkill.
        Get a router for half the price, and you'll get hardware firewall as well.

I noticed that some of the firewalls make you lose a lot of your speed. Is there some out there that won't reduce your download and upload speed very much? Or is there a way of adjusting it like setting up rules or something?

Broni

Mastermind
          • Computer Help Forum
        « Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 07:49:02 PM »
        I'd bet, 9 out of 10 people around here use routers (including myself), and I've never seen any download speed impact.

Briguy

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 07:53:55 PM »
          I'd bet, 9 out of 10 people around here use routers (including myself), and I've never seen any download speed impact.

How come on the reviews one person said: "SLOW! Connections through this firewall are horrendously slow."

Broni

Mastermind
            • Computer Help Forum
          « Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009, 07:58:58 PM »
          First of all, on that page, you have hardware firewall, not router per se.
          Secondly, I'm not familiar with that device.
          Thirdly, I don't know the guy ;D

cjones

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2009, 10:53:15 PM »
          how about this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124007

i've never had problems with Linksys equipment in a home environment and use Linksys' parent company Cisco for business networks.

Briguy

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2009, 11:17:18 PM »
            The Comcast cable modems do they have firewall protection? If they do is it any good?

Broni

Mastermind
              • Computer Help Forum
            « Reply #10 on: January 30, 2009, 11:18:14 PM »
            No, they don't. You need a router.

Briguy

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2009, 12:14:05 PM »
              how about this one:

i've never had problems with Linksys equipment in a home environment and use Linksys' parent company Cisco for business networks.

That's great! Now if I wanted to setup a wireless internet network with two machines I would only need a wireless one. And I would only need one correct? Which one on the newegg website provides the most security functions? 
              « Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 12:24:20 PM by Briguy »

cjones

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2009, 12:43:51 PM »
              how about this one:

That's great! Now if I wanted to setup a wireless internet network with two machines I would only need a wireless one. And I would only need one correct? Which one on the newegg website provides the most security functions? 

you would need to run a wireless Access Point also.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124012&Tpk=WAP54G

modem would connect to  Router/firewall (BEFSX41) then that would connect to Access Point (WAP54G) 

i don't think linksys has a wireless firewall.

Briguy

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2009, 05:04:32 PM »
                how about this one:

modem would connect to  Router/firewall (BEFSX41) then that would connect to Access Point (WAP54G) 

i don't think linksys has a wireless firewall.

So how do you keep the wireless access point from getting unauthorized access from the outside world? And keep the wireless data secure?

cjones

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2009, 06:20:40 PM »
                change the 'network name/SSID'
                change the default password (both the wireless AP and router)
                enable MAC filtering (only allow the MAC addresses from your network cards)
                enable Encryption (WPA/WPA2)

you may be able to get away with 'do not broadcast' on your network as well.

most importantly...read the directions that come with it.  they tell you how to make it secure.  people have problems with their wireless networks because they don't read the manual.

soybean

Genius
                • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
                « Reply #15 on: January 31, 2009, 07:27:36 PM »
                Quote from: cjones link=topic=75845.msg496285#msg496285

You say "you would need to run a wireless Access Point also" because that router he mentioned is a wired router, right?  If he gets a wireless router, then the wireless Access Point is not needed.  Why buy two devices when one will suffice?

cjones

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2009, 01:17:52 AM »
                You say "you would need to run a wireless Access Point also" because that router he mentioned is a wired router, right?  If he gets a wireless router, then the wireless Access Point is not needed.  Why buy two devices when one will suffice?

because he wanted a hardware firewall + wireless and linksys does not have a combo one as far as i know.  another company may but i don't know of one because i use linksys exclusively in home installations (i know there quality and never needed to warranty one out).

i've solved a number of network problems by switching out D-Link and Netgear products with Linksys because the others were bad (BTW they were less than a one month - six months old).

soybean

Genius
                • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
                « Reply #17 on: February 01, 2009, 09:22:19 AM »
                My point is that the router provides firewall protection.  Therefore, a separate hardware firewall is, IMO, not necessary.  I believe nearly all routers provide firewall
                From http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/products/WRT54GL:
                Security Features:
                # Stateful Packet Inspection (SPI) Firewall, Internet Policy
                # Wireless Security: Wi-Fi Protected Access™2 (WPA2), WEP, Wireless MAC Filtering

And, of course, that can be combined with a software firewall for even better protection. 

From http://www.firewallguide.com/faq.htm:
                "What is the difference between a router with firewall features and a hardware firewall? Features and price. Lower cost products provide a DHCP server, PAT/NAT services, 1-8 physical ports to network computers and/or wireless service. NAT hides your computer(s) from the Internet which makes it a simple but effective firewall. Higher cost products, but still under $200, provide additional features like built-in stateful packet inspection (SPI), support for Virtual Private Networking (VPN), Public Key Infrastructure (PKI), content filters, anti-virus protection, and more."

i've solved a number of network problems by switching out D-Link and Netgear products with Linksys because the others were bad (BTW they were less than a one month - six months old).
                Hmm, I've been using D-Link routers since Jan 2002, first a DI-604 and now a DI-524 (wireless), and they definitely provide hardware firewall protection.

So, again, I don't see the need for two devices.  A wireless router should suffice.

Broni

Mastermind
                  • Computer Help Forum
                « Reply #18 on: February 01, 2009, 11:41:09 AM »
                Ditto.

cjones

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2009, 01:54:34 PM »
                well my experiences with D-Link are different.

Stateful Packet Inspection (SPI) Firewalls can be spoofed.  where as the model i listed has anti spoofing and other technologies.

also, a person should always use a software/personal firewall wether or not he has a hardware one.

Broni

Mastermind
                  • Computer Help Forum
                « Reply #20 on: February 01, 2009, 02:21:38 PM »
                And, of course, that can be combined with a software firewall for even better protection. 

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
                  • Yes
                  • Yes
                  • BC-Programming.com
                • Certifications: List
                • Experience: Beginner
                « Reply #21 on: February 01, 2009, 06:15:45 PM »

Security through obscurity is buffoonery.
                I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

cjones

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2009, 07:34:41 PM »

that's why it's in addition too...if they don't know you're there, they can't break in.
                  i'm sure you're aware that some criminals cruise through areas looking for wireless networks.  if your system isn't broadcasting then they won't be able to pick it up.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                  • Yes
                  • Yes
                  • BC-Programming.com
                « Reply #23 on: February 01, 2009, 08:33:37 PM »

that's why it's in addition too...if they don't know you're there, they can't break in.
                  i'm sure you're aware that some criminals cruise through areas looking for wireless networks.  if your system isn't broadcasting then they won't be able to pick it up.

So when it comes to a firewall, go all out with hardware and software firewalls, but as far as wireless authentication is concerned, leave it completely open? SSID broadcasting is only the easiest way to find an access point. especially in the case of unencrypted wifi, their are tools that can simply analyze airborne traffic and determine SSID names in the area- since each networked device needs to know it. simply using that SSID in a connection request will yield success.

EDIT: additionally- with the implementation of WPA or WPA2 it's kind of pointless to hide the SSID.

cjones

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2009, 11:10:16 PM »

So when it comes to a firewall, go all out with hardware and software firewalls, but as far as wireless authentication is concerned, leave it completely open? SSID broadcasting is only the easiest way to find an access point. especially in the case of unencrypted wifi, their are tools that can simply analyze airborne traffic and determine SSID names in the area- since each networked device needs to know it. simply using that SSID in a connection request will yield success.

EDIT: additionally- with the implementation of WPA or WPA2 it's kind of pointless to hide the SSID.

did you even read my reply #14?  apparently NOT.  so here it is again
                change the 'network name/SSID'
                change the default password (both the wireless AP and router)
                enable MAC filtering (only allow the MAC addresses from your network cards)
                enable Encryption (WPA/WPA2)

most importantly...read the directions that come with it.  they tell you how to make it secure.  people have problems with their wireless networks because they don't read the manual.

where in here did i ever say to ONLY hide the SSID and put no other security in place?  i don't see it.

perhaps but just like a car alarm won't stop a professional thief it usually stops the amatures.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                  • Yes
                  • Yes
                  • BC-Programming.com
                « Reply #25 on: February 02, 2009, 04:46:29 AM »
                perhaps but just like a car alarm won't stop a professional thief it usually stops the amatures.

Hmmm. Deleted his account. Oh well-

I would suspect amateurs would likely be stopped by WPA/WPA2 as well.