Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Video card issues IBM Thinkcentre  (Read 3075 times)

Masterskat

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Video card issues IBM Thinkcentre
    « on: May 31, 2012, 07:28:52 PM »
    Hello!
    I've got a pair of IBM Thinkcentre M52 8114's that have identical issues..well..sort of.

A while back, my dh's computer had it's video card die. It was a Nvidia Geforce 9500. I had an identical card in my system, so I loaned him mine (he does more gaming than I do) and I took an archaic ATI Mach64 and popped it in my system.

Overall, it worked. I couldn't access Ubuntu and my resolution sucked, but I was able to do what I needed to do in Windows.

Now since then, we've gotten our hands on a Geforce 9800 as well as an ATI Radeon 7500.

He's running WinXP with SP3 and I'm running a dual boot system with WinXP sp3 and the latest version of Ubuntu.

Now, here's where it gets fun.

We decided today that we had the time to get my card back into my system and one of the new ones into his. First, let's cover what has happened with mine. The card wouldn't register as being there. Plugging my monitor cable into it resulted in a loss of signal to the monitor. It would work with the old ATI, but none of the others (his has the same problem).

I found an idea online about changing the BIOS settings to only accept the onboard video. I tried that with mine and managed to get back into Windows. I then continued to follow the advice and switched it back to PCI in the BIOS. Now, neither of the Gforce cards or the Radeon work. He's using the old Mach64, so I don't know if that would work on mine.

So as it stands now, with the Geforce 9500, I will see my initial start up screen and then it all goes black.

His is where mine was..the Mach64 works, but the others don't, even with drivers installed.

The only card that works is the Mach64.

Any ideas??