Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: A problem with MS Word 97  (Read 3241 times)

mjroulette

Topic Starter

Rookie

A problem with MS Word 97
    « on: February 05, 2009, 05:16:22 PM »
    The other day I got a blue screen (first time in years) while I was working on a Word document. I lost 2 hours of work because I had "Quick Save" instead of "Backup" checked. Then I thought I had lost all my documents, whether they were open or not, because they all reverted to TEXT format. I have many tables and they all became vertical strings of words and numbers. The other clue was that the fonts all became Times New Roman (a font that I rarely use).

After messing around a bit (and changing "Quick Save" to "Backup") some of the documents seemed to be OK. Then some of them were screwed up, again. At first I was really puzzled, and then figured out what was happening. When I go to File/Open, the document is screwed up. The same thing happens when I open a file from Windows Explorer by double-clicking. However, if I open it from the drop-down file list, it's fine.

Now I'm in the following situation: when I first open a file, it's messed up, so I close it. Then the file appears in the drop-down file list, and when I click on the same file in the list, it's OK. I am really confused and need help.

I've been using this copy of Word 97 for 10 years without a problem.

My computer is a Pentium 4, running XP (SP-3), with 512MB RAM, and plenty of HD space. I should mention that I've had problems with IE, but don't know if there's a connection. I hope someone can suggest something I can do about this.

foggs

Beginner

Re: A problem with MS Word 97
      « Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 11:37:08 PM »
      « Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 05:25:21 PM by foggs »
      Foggs

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 08:53:47 AM »
      What happens if they are opened in WordPad ? ?
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

mjroulette

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 02:39:30 PM »
        The files open perfectly in WordPad.