Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: partitioning  (Read 1773 times)

Topic Starter

Beginner

partitioning
    « on: February 08, 2009, 11:40:54 AM »
    Hello, I am having a little trouble with partitioning my hard drive. I have already typed this out on another forum, so please excus me for copying and pasting.

I was able to sucsessfully partition my hard drive into two primary partitions, and installed Windows 7 on the new Primary partition while leaving Windows XP on the other.

As an afterthought, however, I decided to resize the partitions, to make space for a 3rd primary partition I will be using as storage.

So, I resized each primary partition, and now I have 2 logical drives aswell as the two primary partitions. These logical partitions are the unallocated space I freed up when I resized the two primary partitions.

How can I combine these two logical partition? I would like to create 1 primary partition out of them, but the only option I see is creating two seperate primary partitions.

P.S. I used EASEUS so far, but I have Gparted ready on a LiveCD if needed.

(for a larger view, visit http://i39.tinypic.com/24qlo5j.jpg)

Bromide

Beginner

• Experience: Familiar
      Re: partitioning
      « Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 03:03:34 PM »
      I have not tried Windows 7, but its disk manager is probably the same or better than in Vista. I have used the Vista disk manager to delete and enlarge partitions successfully, although not often enough to describe the process.

If your Windows 7 installation is functional try its disk manager. The one in XP is not as good. You might not be able to do everything in one session. I sort of remember having to restart the computer after deleting partitions before I could enlarge the adjacent one, but try it and see. It might work better than a free 3rd-party app.

To open Disk Manager, click the ‘Start’ button, right-click ‘Computer’, select ‘Manage’.
      In the ‘Computer Management’ window, select ‘Disk Management’ from the tree on the left.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      Re: partitioning
      « Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 05:17:43 PM »
      I would decide how you want this drive setup...backup any data you need and start over...
      The first partition should be set as active and primary...otherwise you will have a mess.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "