Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: SUPER BATCH  (Read 34284 times)

dirt1996

Topic Starter

Rookie

SUPER BATCH
    « on: February 07, 2009, 04:35:28 PM »
    Are ther any more powerful versions of batch.  I dont want to have to learn a new language, but o wnat something with a bit bigger, morcommands, etc.  If there isnt one, any ideas for what i should learn

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: SUPER BATCH
    « Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 08:02:15 PM »
    Go to google and type 'Programming Languages'

I don't understand what 'powerful version of batch' means. A batch file is only a text file containing a series of commands that are interpreted by Windows Command Prompt.
    It's in fact not a programming language.

GuruGary

Adviser
      « Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 09:04:17 PM »
      There is PowerShell
      http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/technologies/management/powershell/default.mspx

But PowerShell does require a download to write the scripts.

dirt1996

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 07:15:31 AM »

TheShadow

Hopeful

• Retiree in Florida
          • Yes
          • The Doctor
        • Computer: Specs
        « Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 07:54:27 AM »
        The last freestanding DOS was DOS 6.22

Since then DOS has been hidden by various versions of windows.

Also, since then, many new options have been added to DOS commands.

But in any case, a batch file is nothing more than a list of DOS commands,
        interpreted by Command.com
        It is NOT, nor was it ever a programming language.

There are also stand alone, "External" dos commands that can be run by themselves.
        XCOPY and Deltree.exe are good examples.

So, learn DOS the way it is today.

Cheers!
        Shadow  8)
        Experience is truly the best teacher.
        Backup! Backup! Backup!  Ghost Rocks!

BatchFileCommand

Hopeful
          « Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 08:37:13 AM »
          Well, Batch is very powerful.
          οτη άβγαλτος μεταφ βαθμολογία

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 09:10:51 AM »
          Well, Batch is very powerful.

Until you want to make an actual windows application...
          I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Dias de verano

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 11:29:27 AM »
          It's in fact not a programming language.

Well, you could say that it's a scripting language, I suppose, but those are really programming languages. A programming language is a machine-readable artificial language designed to express computations that can be performed by a machine, particularly a computer. A scripting language, script language or extension language, is a programming language that allows some control of a single or many software applications. Although a batch file is analogous to a shell script in Unix-like operating systems, the limited syntax and commands available means it is less suited for general-purpose programming. I would call batch scripting a restricted and limited kind of programming, but programming nevertheless.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          « Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 12:01:55 PM »
          Yes... It is a form of programming most surely.

Also, in a sense, changing any form of data in a machine to ones preference is "programming"... just look at VCRs and such...

Dias de verano

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2009, 12:08:35 PM »

Also, in a sense, changing any form of data in a machine to ones preference is "programming"... just look at VCRs and such...

My mother used to program her electric sewing machine 40 years ago... it was done with special cams that you could put in and take out which made special stitch patterns, and she also had a Hoover Keymatic washing machine which had a program "card" which you put in a slot.

You could say that whenever a hot rodder replaces the standard cams in their engine with performance ones, they are changing the "program" that controls the valves.

Of course, the Jaquard loom, and Babbage's Difference Engine are so well known that I would be insulting everyone's intelligence by mentioning them...

« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 12:37:27 PM by Dias de verano »

BatchFileCommand

Hopeful
            « Reply #10 on: February 08, 2009, 01:24:18 PM »
            Well, anything that can be programmed through text in a computer could be considered a programming language. However the difference is that batch isn't really special. Unless you include that if it is a true programming language it's one of the easiest. However it can't do much. Can it make a decent fun game, NO. Can it make a professional looking program, NO. Actually it is possible to make a fun game. But you have to individually create each frame. That's just a pain. 

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • BC-Programming.com
            « Reply #11 on: February 08, 2009, 01:57:21 PM »
            But you have to individually create each frame.

yeah. In text. Whoopee!

Well, anything that can be programmed through text in a computer could be considered a programming language.

that would be an awful broad definition- a language, by definition, has syntax, grammar, etc. For example- if you enter a filename in a dialog to open a file, it's not really programming, we know that- but it IS entering text to determine what the computer does.

Batch has Syntax and grammars. So it wins. Text files don't. neither does Perl. (LOL! JK)

macdad-

Expert

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2009, 05:44:39 PM »
              or you could try to make a Command Line app in VB.NET.
              take my FINFO app i made in VB.NET.
              http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,72108.msg470826.html#msg470826

and be sure to add error checking and all those goodies.
              If you dont know DOS, you dont know Windows...

Thats why Bill Gates created the Windows NT Family.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
              • Geek After Dark
                • Gekk9pm bnlog
              • Experience: Expert
              « Reply #13 on: February 08, 2009, 05:49:27 PM »
              Urban Myth

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                • Yes
                • Yes
                • BC-Programming.com
              « Reply #14 on: February 08, 2009, 06:16:46 PM »
              Urban Myth

programming is getting the computer to do what you want. If you do that in batch, your programming.

http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,72108.msg470826.html#msg470826

Or my BCScript Script interpreter in my sig! Except that's a console app created in VB6... I have to actually use API calls to determine the start mode (console or GUI) and manually acquire the handles to the opened Stdout,stdin, and stderror streams. Even then, I need to use the API WriteFile and ReadFile functions to read or write anything to or from console. yep, it's tough using VB6 in today's world, but well worth avoiding the requirement of .NET.

Besides... I have all the console code in a module. I just add the module and the app has Console support.

Tricky part was the late binding... Never realized how lost I could be without intellisense.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
              • Geek After Dark
                • Gekk9pm bnlog
              « Reply #15 on: February 08, 2009, 10:28:56 PM »

programming is getting the computer to do what you want. If you do that in batch, your programming.

So if I can write a letter to my family in notepad and print it on a printer using the computer I am a programmer. - Right?

Bash and the other UNIX shells are listed as programming languages, by a stretch of your mind.  I can not find any references BATCH as being a language. The term BATCH is often used to mean a control script the is started by a human that then runs a number of tasks, also called jobs,  that do not require attention of the operator.  The interpreter is COMMAND.COM or one if its kin. So  the command language for the command interpreter is used in BATCH files. But a BATCH file make also contain commands fro another program. The command interpreter passes the parameters to the application. Those commands are switches for the application. BATCH is not a language. It describes the nature and purpose of a file. It is a BATCH file that contains commands for some program(s). COMMAND.COM is on of the programs the batch file invokes. Use another Shell and you have another set of commands.
              • WinDOS
              • Seal
              • Qube
              • DOSStart
              • X-Window
              So if you write a BATCH file for these, what is it called?
              Don't call it a BATCH language. Each of the shells has a different set of commands. Yes some things are similar, but it is a different set of things.
              I know a lady that speaks three languages. But she is not a language. She is a speaker of languages.

macdad-

Expert

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2009, 11:26:34 AM »
                Urban Myth

Or my BCScript Script interpreter in my sig! Except that's a console app created in VB6... I have to actually use API calls to determine the start mode (console or GUI) and manually acquire the handles to the opened Stdout,stdin, and stderror streams. Even then, I need to use the API WriteFile and ReadFile functions to read or write anything to or from console. yep, it's tough using VB6 in today's world, but well worth avoiding the requirement of .NET.

Besides... I have all the console code in a module. I just add the module and the app has Console support.

Tricky part was the late binding... Never realized how lost I could be without intellisense.

nice BC, i'll give it a try, and yea VB6 does have its advantages...does BCScript have a command in it for console parameter parsing?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                  • Yes
                  • Yes
                  • BC-Programming.com
                « Reply #17 on: February 09, 2009, 12:28:36 PM »
                nice BC, i'll give it a try, and yea VB6 does have its advantages...does BCScript have a command in it for console parameter parsing?

No- you know the good old COMMAND$ function in VB6 and earlier- well, I wrote a library for parsing the arguments. BCCParser.dll. makes it SO much easier to parse arguments and such. a collection of switches and arguments, and each switch can have arguments (like with /D:filename.txt) and it even parses out quotes... which has actually become second nature thanks to my expression evaluator itself.

I don't really have any documentation included with it though- I merely packaged up the exes DLLs, and two or three sample scripts I had been using for testing.

the commandline parser would be a lot easier to document then my evaluation library, since with the Evaluator, I'll have to document how to use the library and everything, AND the hundred of bloody functions, AND how to trap parsing events and create plugins. Sometimes I just set myself up for painful documentation. Even worse, I'll have to actually look at the code myself since I forgot half of the clever stuff I did.

The best part of BCScript as I've created it is that it won't throw out that annoyingly generic "ActiveX component cannot create object" error that occurs when a library isn't present. It doesn't say WHAT is missing, which makes the error a complete PITA.

So instead, every object (the parser, commandlineparser, etc) is accessed via late-binding (object variables and CreateObject()) so that the program can throw out a proper error if libraries aren't found and such. I'm thinking if implementing some rudimentary command-line parsing in the program that can be used if the BCCParser lib isn't found, and then it will just state the fact that parsing abilities are limited or something.

It's actually quite short because of the use of the libraries- the BCScript main routine is around a single page.

I used to have a LOT more libraries I wrote and activeX controls... custom tab controls, a "CreditScroller" control that shows credits... sigh. All gone because of a HD crash over 2 or 3 years ago. Oh well. a second writing always comes out better. Especially in the case of a expression evaluator, which I've written over 3 times.

Since I didn't include any documentation or whatnot with it, feel free to PM me if your having problems :)

Dias de verano

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2009, 12:56:32 PM »
                I can not find any references BATCH as being a language.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&=&q=batch+programming+language&btnG=Google+Search&meta=lr%3D

Batch is a programming language. You are wrong. Suck it up.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
                • Geek After Dark
                  • Gekk9pm bnlog
                « Reply #19 on: February 09, 2009, 03:33:45 PM »
                Thank you for the links. They say what I said, BATCH is NOT a language.The references are to the use of the command interpreter, which has a its own language.

American is not a language.
                European is not a language.
                ASNII is not a language.
                Batch is not a language. It is a BATCH.

COMMAND line programming is programming in the command line language.
                References to BATCH programming are short forms of reference to doing command line programming using a file that contains the script the COMMAND program will interpret.

Dias de verano

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2009, 03:46:20 PM »
                Geek-9pm, stop digging.

The fact that you have your own private definition of what the word "program" means does not mean that everybody else has to abide by that.

which has a its own language.

Sounds like yours isn't English.

References to BATCH programming are short forms of reference to doing command line programming using a file that contains the script the COMMAND program will interpret.

So it's programming then. Look, you wrote it.

Please tell me why a command script is not a program, while a Qbasic source code file is.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
                • Geek After Dark
                  • Gekk9pm bnlog
                « Reply #21 on: February 09, 2009, 03:53:59 PM »
                Please tell me why a command script is not a program, while a Qbasic source code file is.

Yes a command script is written in a programming language. It is the language of the interpreter that is used to process it.
                The name of the language is not script.
                The name of the language is not Batch.

A Google of the phrase. 'Batch is a programming language' only picks of one forum user that made that as a positive, true statement.
                Was that not you?
                Tell me that it was not you.
                Then I will have an answer to the question next time somebody in a casual compensation brings up the subject.

Gekk9pm: Wow, the batch programming has me down!
                Jack: Well no wonder, it is hardly a language.
                Geek9pm: Say what you want, but there are people out there who say it is a language.
                Jack: Huh? No Batch itself is not a programming language. A batch is a file with a script.
                Geek9pm: No, really I know users who will really tell you, literally, quote "Batch is a programming Language.", unquote.
                Jack: You know some of those kind?
                Gekk9pm: I know them ALL.  I meet up with BOTH of them.

;D
                « Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 04:16:18 PM by Geek-9pm »

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                  • Yes
                  • Yes
                  • BC-Programming.com
                « Reply #22 on: February 09, 2009, 04:19:29 PM »
                Thank you for the links. They say what I said, BATCH is NOT a language.The references are to the use of the command interpreter, which has a its own language.

American is not a language.
                European is not a language.
                ASNII(ANSI?)  is not a language.
                Batch is not a language. It is a BATCH.
                American is a dialect of English(generally referred to as "American-English",but reference to the "American" language is common as well, especially among English speakers), in that it is a variant of the "queen's English" which in and of itself is likely a variant of Saxon tongues. This type of heirarchy occurs with Programming languages as well, for example- C branches of to C++, and Java can be said to root in both Visual Basic and C. The fact that any Real-life language is merely a dialect of some other previous vernacular makes it no less of a language.

the Windows/MS-DOS command-line is the only one whose programmatic entity is referred to as a "Batch Program" within standard vernacular. you don't here people refer to Bash Batch files or Bourne Batch files. they are called scripts. And they are referred to as Programming, if only at the highest OS level by those who write them and the linux community in general. Nobody in the Linux community would likely oppose calling these "scripts", even if it implies "programming". Which brings up yet another question. If it isn't actually "batch programming" but rather "command-line" programming, why is it that "Visual Basic Programming" or "C Programming", both being comprised of the creation of Batches of Statements in that particular language, aren't called "Batch Visual Basic " or "Batch C"? Because the ability to have blocks of statements execute sequentially is defined in the language itself. In a similar vein, since Batch files allow for the use of parentheses for grouping and other commands that aren't possible to use at the command-line, it is thus a superset of the command-line itself, and thus it cannot be referred to as simply a "batch" of commandline language statements, as it defines it's own constructs not available at the command-line.

Of course, this definition means that Pre-NT DOS batch programming was not programming either- however, it was. Since, according to the definition of "programming language":

A programming language is a machine-readable artificial language designed to express computations that can be performed by a machine, particularly a computer. Programming languages can be used to create programs that specify the behavior of a machine, to express algorithms precisely, or as a mode of human communication.

"Batch" meets all of what this definition states, in all it's forms. And despite what I believe might be your main proposal, calling it "Batch programming" is not ambiguous to other command-line implementations of what a "Batch" is in DOS/Windows simply because those shells refer to their implementation of Batch programming as "Scripting"... Scripting is a form of programming and since this is essentially an implementation of similar functionality from Batch, batch is thus also "batch Scripting"... Scripting is programming.

HTML, SGML, XML, etc. While not introduced in this discussion, do not meet the requirements of being a programming language. They are used to define how data is displayed, but do not provide the actual algorithms for how the display parameters are to be met. As an example, the <HR> tag creates a hard rule section break on a HTML page. While you can change the properties used to draw that rule (such as size, Color, etc) there is no definition of how those properties are to be applied to create a section break, since that logic is within the web browser. In a similar vein, batch programming does both- it can invoke other applications and commands to perform particular tasks with specified parameters, or it can be used to create the logic behind such commands.

COMMAND line programming is programming in the command line language.

macdad-

Expert

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2009, 06:11:09 PM »
                  the term BATCH comes from the days of mainframes, punched cards and all those goodies(as all of us know) you would write a program with punched cards, and feed em in one by one in "BATCHES", and batch files are just text files that contain CMD(Or DOS) commands that are read sequintally(one by one) which leads to the BATCH term again.

their just batches of commands in a special text file, that is read by CMD or DOS.

BatchFileCommand

Hopeful
                    « Reply #24 on: February 09, 2009, 07:08:49 PM »
                    I see you all arguing about how batch is a language, and how it isn't. Well, think of it this way. Why do they refer to programming as languages. Because they are languages that the computer speaks (analogical). The computer speaks batch, as well as Java, VB6, C etc. (assuming they are installed). So programming with computers is all the same. You type commands and the computer does them. That's how it works with every
                    programming language. Why not Batch? Why do people refer to thing like

"I am scripting in C++."
                    "I am scripting in Batch."

Any language can be referred to as scripting, batch is referred to
                    as scripting but not a language...... C++ is referred to scripting and a language.

So why can't Batch called a language too? After all, the computer can speak it
                    like any other language.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                      • Yes
                      • Yes
                      • BC-Programming.com
                    « Reply #25 on: February 09, 2009, 07:49:59 PM »
                    Batch is just not turing complete  8)

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
                    • Geek After Dark
                      • Gekk9pm bnlog
                    « Reply #26 on: February 09, 2009, 09:34:21 PM »

BatchFileCommand

Hopeful
                      « Reply #27 on: February 10, 2009, 06:07:57 AM »
                      What's the point of that link?

Dias de verano

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2009, 08:12:41 AM »
                      What's the point of that link?

No point whatsoever, other than to illustrate that he has run out of arguments.

macdad-

Expert

« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2009, 03:00:44 PM »
                        when you think of it fully. BATCH seems like a semi-language. the same file is the source code as well as the built program itself. it is just used as a program when opened in CMD(or DOS) or used as a textfile(the source code) in Notepad.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                          • Yes
                          • Yes
                          • BC-Programming.com
                        « Reply #30 on: February 10, 2009, 03:32:06 PM »
                        if it was merely a "batch" of commands you wouldn't find any constructs such as the parentheses and or goto.

Dias de verano

« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2009, 03:36:44 PM »
                        the same file is the source code as well as the built program itself. it is just used as a program when opened in CMD(or DOS) or used as a textfile(the source code) in Notepad.

But this is true of all interpreted programming languages, of which there are many.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
                        • Geek After Dark
                          • Gekk9pm bnlog
                        « Reply #32 on: February 10, 2009, 04:36:34 PM »
                        when you think of it fully. BATCH seems like a semi-language. the same file is the source code as well as the built program itself. it is just used as a program when opened in CMD(or DOS) or used as a textfile(the source code) in Notepad.

Now that sounds reasonable.

There are some here who would think that when you change the last part of a file name from TXT to BAT that you instantly create a new lifeform.

I had a co-worker once that said he could change a  COM file into a EXE by just renaming it. I don't know how he did it. But my co-worker went on to do wonderful things and become rich in silicon valley. And here I am a in a small town poor as a church-mouse.

macdad-

Expert

« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2009, 06:10:38 PM »
                          the same file is the source code as well as the built program itself. it is just used as a program when opened in CMD(or DOS) or used as a textfile(the source code) in Notepad.
                          But this is true of all interpreted programming languages, of which there are many.

but in C, there are other files supporting the main.c file, in VB6 there are the 'frm' and the 'vbp' files, in VB .NET when you run it, it builds a seperate EXE file that is run.

but in BATCH its just a single file that has no project files, no header files, no form files(of course its command line)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                            • Yes
                            • Yes
                            • BC-Programming.com
                          « Reply #34 on: February 10, 2009, 07:27:57 PM »
                          So then VBScript,Perl, JavaScript,Python, etc. are not programming languages either?

the fact is, the Command-line does NOT have it's own language. it has a Syntax, and that's it. the syntax is simple- Command <arguments>. No parsing of the arguments is done by the command interpreter- it is all just passed onto the program. The fact that Batch is not merely a collection of these statements (as you can place grouping code and gotos, as well as labels and other features that work exclusively in batch.

[/color]
                          I had a co-worker once that said he could change a  COM file into a EXE by just renaming it. I don't know how he did it. But my co-worker went on to do wonderful things and become rich in silicon valley. And here I am a in a small town poor as a church-mouse.

I'd imagine he did something like this:

Code: [Select]
                          ren file.com file.exe

The thing is, that executable will only work in pure DOS- Windows will complain about an invalid image, since a COM file does not have the MZ at the start that a EXE file would. DOS doesn't check.

You can have supporting files in batch as well, so I'm not sure how the argument that having various supporting files really comes into play.

There are some here who would think that when you change the last part of a file name from TXT to BAT that you instantly create a new lifeform.

90% of all programming languages store their code in text files, so I don't see how this is even an argument.

macdad-

Expert

« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2009, 12:10:52 PM »
                            So then VBScript,Perl, JavaScript,Python, etc. are not programming languages either?

the fact is, the Command-line does NOT have it's own language. it has a Syntax, and that's it. the syntax is simple- Command <arguments>. No parsing of the arguments is done by the command interpreter- it is all just passed onto the program. The fact that Batch is not merely a collection of these statements (as you can place grouping code and gotos, as well as labels and other features that work exclusively in batch.

[/color]

I'd imagine he did something like this:

Code: [Select]
                            ren file.com file.exe

The thing is, that executable will only work in pure DOS- Windows will complain about an invalid image, since a COM file does not have the MZ at the start that a EXE file would. DOS doesn't check.

You can have supporting files in batch as well, so I'm not sure how the argument that having various supporting files really comes into play.

90% of all programming languages store their code in text files, so I don't see how this is even an argument.

good point, this is like decide whether a Avacado is a fruit or vegetable.

but for now BATCH is a Semi-language.

Dias de verano

« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2009, 12:21:40 PM »

That is meaningless. It is a language, just like Perl and BASIC and Smalltalk and Ruby and lots of others. Limited, yes, but still a language for all that.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                              • Yes
                              • Yes
                              • BC-Programming.com
                            « Reply #37 on: February 11, 2009, 01:08:16 PM »
                            the line between fruits and vegetables is quite well set.

A fruit is actually the sweet, ripened ovary or ovaries of a seed-bearing plant. A vegetable, in contrast, is an herbaceous plant cultivated for an edible part (seeds, roots, stems, leaves, bulbs, tubers, or nonsweet fruits). So, to be really nitpicky, a fruit could be a vegetable, but a vegetable could not be a fruit.

in any case...

No such thing as a semi-language.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
                            • Geek After Dark
                              • Gekk9pm bnlog
                            « Reply #38 on: February 11, 2009, 03:41:26 PM »

Glad to see this thread is becoming fruitful.
                            However, it still needs more meant.
                               ;D

macdad-

Expert

« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2009, 05:16:44 PM »

A fruit is actually the sweet, ripened ovary or ovaries of a seed-bearing plant. A vegetable, in contrast, is an herbaceous plant cultivated for an edible part (seeds, roots, stems, leaves, bulbs, tubers, or nonsweet fruits). So, to be really nitpicky, a fruit could be a vegetable, but a vegetable could not be a fruit.

in any case...

No such thing as a semi-language.

i know, but its undecided so its a definite maybe, until we all come to a conclusion.

Dias de verano

« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2009, 12:17:45 AM »
                              i know, but its undecided so its a definite maybe, until we all come to a conclusion.

No maybe about it. What a bunch of *censored*. You seem to be treating it as a matter of opinion or belief, similiar to such discussion topics as "Does God exist?" or "what is the best football team?". The truth is, it is a matter of fact, like such topics as "Is Spanish classified among the Romance languages?".
                              « Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 12:34:55 AM by Dias de verano »

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                                • Yes
                                • Yes
                                • BC-Programming.com
                              « Reply #41 on: February 12, 2009, 12:21:24 AM »
                              they're "Batch is a language" Agnostic...

that's like being, "rabbit agnostic"  Do rabbits exist?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
                              • Geek After Dark
                                • Gekk9pm bnlog
                              « Reply #42 on: February 12, 2009, 12:55:49 AM »
                              BATCH does not exits. I am running Windows XP and I did a search for BATCH.EXE and it was not there. Brut I did find a folder named BATCH, but it was empty. Therefore, BATCH can be a folder, but that does not prove it has some other form of existence.

All of this stuff is is in your head. Get a life. BATCH is not doing your work because there is no such thing as BATCH that you can invoke, employ, beg or supplicate. It is a figment of your imagination. COMMAND.COM has been doing your work all this time and you insist on calling him BATCH. His name was never BATCH. His name is COMMAND.COM and is kind is CMD.EXE and both are part of Windows.
                              Go ahead, try to RUN BATCH. Windows with tell you the truth. There is no BATCH. Your blind faith in BATCH is mistaken.  :'(

Dias de verano

« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2009, 01:55:46 AM »
                              Geek-9PM, this thread has had me wondering whether you are an idiot or a troll, and I must say that your last post does not make it any easier to decide.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                                • Yes
                                • Yes
                                • BC-Programming.com
                              « Reply #44 on: February 12, 2009, 02:09:30 AM »
                              Considering there also is no "VISUALBASIC.EXE" then visual basic does not exist. There also isn't a "VBSCRIPT.EXE" but rather a "WSCRIPT" that runs BOTH VBScript and JavaScript just as CMD runs both BAT and CMD files, and yet you don't see anybody trying to say that VBScript and JavaScript are really WSCRIPT- likely because they aren't trying to win a losing war.

Facts state otherwise. Get over it. Batch has features the command processor cannot use except within a batch file, and as such is a superset of the "command-line" language of which you say it is. However, a Superset of a language is a completely different language in and of itself.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
                              • Geek After Dark
                                • Gekk9pm bnlog
                              « Reply #45 on: February 12, 2009, 03:16:09 AM »
                              Oh No. What have I done?
                              Ecen before the last post by BC, I was doing research to support my position...and...a great flash of revelation came to me! From the most unlikely source. The MS support site. I had never, ever seen this before!

Now I do repent. I have been an Idiot, not a troll.

I could hardly believe it. A summary in a MS search states clearly that BATCH is a programming language like another lessor now wonder.

Look here:

(99060) - For those who don't have any programming background but know the MS-DOS batch language, it is a good path toward learning more sophisticated languages such as BASIC, PASCAL, C ...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/99060

Please accept my apology. I am now a believer.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                                • Yes
                                • Yes
                                • BC-Programming.com
                              « Reply #46 on: February 12, 2009, 03:50:00 AM »

macdad-

Expert

« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2009, 12:21:30 PM »
                                ok, then you can call BATCH a programing language or not.

i say ya.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
                                  • Yes
                                  • Yes
                                  • Yes
                                « Reply #48 on: February 22, 2009, 03:04:48 AM »
                                Intriguing....

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                                  • Yes
                                  • Yes
                                  • BC-Programming.com
                                « Reply #49 on: February 22, 2009, 09:15:23 AM »

macdad-

Expert

« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2009, 12:52:34 PM »
                                  like saying is an avacado a fruit or not  :D

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                                    • Yes
                                    • Yes
                                    • BC-Programming.com
                                  « Reply #51 on: February 22, 2009, 12:59:04 PM »

I already explained this. an avocado is a fruit. it has a pit, like a peach or a nectarine.

It's a "drupe" if memory serves.

Dias de verano

« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2009, 01:01:15 PM »

Well, some people say an avocado is a large berry, but the word "berry" means "fleshy fruit", [edit: so does "drupe"] so it's a fruit.

macdad-

Expert

« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2009, 01:01:47 PM »

an Avacado isn't sweet...

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                                      • Yes
                                      • Yes
                                      • BC-Programming.com
                                    « Reply #54 on: February 22, 2009, 01:05:18 PM »
                                    taste is not a defining factor of wether a plant growth is a vegetable or a fruit. As an example, a tomato is a fruit as well.

Vegetables generally don't have seeds within the edible portion- Carrots, celery, tubers, lettuce, broccoli, etc. a fruit, on the other hand, generally grows after the flower has been pollinated and in some instances will provide food for the growing seeds.

Dias de verano

« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2009, 01:05:26 PM »
                                    an Avacado isn't sweet...

Neither are lemons, limes, chinellos, or Seville oranges, but so what?

Dias de verano

« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2009, 01:06:12 PM »
                                    We're getting into arguing-the-toss territory. Lock time?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                                      • Yes
                                      • Yes
                                      • BC-Programming.com
                                    « Reply #57 on: February 22, 2009, 01:08:46 PM »
                                    Silly, it's a sophisticated debate between us and the philistines believing that taste is the single most important trait used to class living creatures. I suppose all primates should be classed according to their flavour.

Hmm, this might make Goats a closer species to humans... worth looking into...

macdad-

Expert

« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2009, 01:09:50 PM »
                                             _____
                                            /          \
                                           /            \
                                          IIIIIIIIIIIII
                                          IIMasterIII
                                          IIIILockIIII
                                          IIIIIIIIIIIIII

its time

Dias de verano

« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2009, 01:11:00 PM »
                                      I got past 4000 posts!

BatchRocks

Hopeful
                                        « Reply #60 on: February 22, 2009, 01:11:35 PM »

macdad-

Expert

« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2009, 01:12:37 PM »
                                                _____
                                                /          \
                                               /            \
                                              IIIIIIIIIIIII
                                              IIMasterIII
                                              IIIILockIIII
                                              IIIIIIIIIIIIII

its time

didnt quite turn out the way i expected

and congrats Dias...4000posts!

Dias de verano

« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2009, 01:13:31 PM »
                                          You see there is something to be said for pointless arguments.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                                            • Yes
                                            • Yes
                                            • BC-Programming.com
                                          « Reply #63 on: February 22, 2009, 01:14:29 PM »
                                          See, now if we hadn't gotten involved in a futility driven struggle of a debate over how plant life should be classed based on their edible growths, taste or physical make-up, it could have taken a full 10 more minutes before dias breached 4000. Also, we wouldn't have come upon a way to make goats more legal marital partners by blurring the line between the species.

macdad-

Expert

« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2009, 01:17:34 PM »
                                            how does that relate to this????

Dias de verano

« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2009, 01:19:58 PM »
                                            Believe it or not, this is "Goat Scrotum Fruit". Local name in Indonesia: Buah Pelir Kambing.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                                              • Yes
                                              • Yes
                                              • BC-Programming.com
                                            « Reply #66 on: February 22, 2009, 01:21:02 PM »
                                            how does that relate to this????

Easy! If we classed animals by taste one can only assume that most mammals would taste like "fur" and "hair" with the exception of kittens, who would taste fluffy.

*censored* such, goats and apes and chimpanzees would all taste like hair, meaning that goats will be that much closer related to the human species.

I think the rule in the south is you can't be more then one genus off- this is getting there.

and with the addition of a fruit named after the *censored* organs of a goat, we have come full circle.

macdad-

Expert

« Reply #67 on: February 22, 2009, 01:22:54 PM »
                                              ok...but you kinda lost me when you starting onto that.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                                                • Yes
                                                • Yes
                                                • BC-Programming.com
                                              « Reply #68 on: February 22, 2009, 01:25:06 PM »
                                              wow, I made a hilariously relevant typo. I wrote, *censored*.

in that way an *censored* (donkey) would most assuredly also taste like fur.

Dias de verano

« Reply #69 on: February 22, 2009, 01:50:59 PM »
                                              wow, I made a hilariously relevant typo. I wrote, *censored*.

Freudian slips arise from whatever it is you are currently preoccupied with. Don't goat worrying about it.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                                                • Yes
                                                • Yes
                                                • BC-Programming.com
                                              « Reply #70 on: February 22, 2009, 01:52:32 PM »
                                              ewe always give good advice  ;D

Dias de verano

« Reply #71 on: February 22, 2009, 01:54:58 PM »
                                              But I don't like to ram the point home.

macdad-

Expert

« Reply #72 on: February 22, 2009, 01:57:39 PM »
                                                lol

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                                                  • Yes
                                                  • Yes
                                                  • BC-Programming.com
                                                « Reply #73 on: February 22, 2009, 01:59:31 PM »
                                                we're just a bunch of foals.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
                                                • Geek After Dark
                                                  • Gekk9pm bnlog
                                                « Reply #74 on: February 22, 2009, 04:18:53 PM »
                                                tte original post was about 'super batch' and so far it looks like we lostJIM.
                                                So, then which fruit or vegetable is best for making a batch file?

When i have avocado and cheddar cheese and french bread close at hand i can write batch files squeakily.

macdad-

Expert

« Reply #75 on: February 22, 2009, 06:31:38 PM »
                                                  we're just a bunch of foals.

i was about to put Geek in the middle. :D

[attachment deleted by admin]

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
                                                    • Yes
                                                    • Yes
                                                    • Yes
                                                  « Reply #76 on: February 22, 2009, 06:38:36 PM »
                                                  Seems like always the same people.

This has gone waaaay off topic.

Closed.