Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: SUPER BATCH  (Read 34310 times)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: SUPER BATCH
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2009, 03:32:06 PM »
if it was merely a "batch" of commands you wouldn't find any constructs such as the parentheses and or goto.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Dias de verano

« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2009, 03:36:44 PM »
the same file is the source code as well as the built program itself. it is just used as a program when opened in CMD(or DOS) or used as a textfile(the source code) in Notepad.

But this is true of all interpreted programming languages, of which there are many.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2009, 04:36:34 PM »
when you think of it fully. BATCH seems like a semi-language. the same file is the source code as well as the built program itself. it is just used as a program when opened in CMD(or DOS) or used as a textfile(the source code) in Notepad.

Now that sounds reasonable.

There are some here who would think that when you change the last part of a file name from TXT to BAT that you instantly create a new lifeform.

I had a co-worker once that said he could change a  COM file into a EXE by just renaming it. I don't know how he did it. But my co-worker went on to do wonderful things and become rich in silicon valley. And here I am a in a small town poor as a church-mouse.

macdad-

Expert

« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2009, 06:10:38 PM »
    the same file is the source code as well as the built program itself. it is just used as a program when opened in CMD(or DOS) or used as a textfile(the source code) in Notepad.
    But this is true of all interpreted programming languages, of which there are many.

but in C, there are other files supporting the main.c file, in VB6 there are the 'frm' and the 'vbp' files, in VB .NET when you run it, it builds a seperate EXE file that is run.

but in BATCH its just a single file that has no project files, no header files, no form files(of course its command line)
    If you dont know DOS, you dont know Windows...

Thats why Bill Gates created the Windows NT Family.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #34 on: February 10, 2009, 07:27:57 PM »
    So then VBScript,Perl, JavaScript,Python, etc. are not programming languages either?

the fact is, the Command-line does NOT have it's own language. it has a Syntax, and that's it. the syntax is simple- Command <arguments>. No parsing of the arguments is done by the command interpreter- it is all just passed onto the program. The fact that Batch is not merely a collection of these statements (as you can place grouping code and gotos, as well as labels and other features that work exclusively in batch.

[/color]
    I had a co-worker once that said he could change a  COM file into a EXE by just renaming it. I don't know how he did it. But my co-worker went on to do wonderful things and become rich in silicon valley. And here I am a in a small town poor as a church-mouse.

I'd imagine he did something like this:

Code: [Select]
    ren file.com file.exe

The thing is, that executable will only work in pure DOS- Windows will complain about an invalid image, since a COM file does not have the MZ at the start that a EXE file would. DOS doesn't check.

You can have supporting files in batch as well, so I'm not sure how the argument that having various supporting files really comes into play.

There are some here who would think that when you change the last part of a file name from TXT to BAT that you instantly create a new lifeform.

90% of all programming languages store their code in text files, so I don't see how this is even an argument.

macdad-

Expert

« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2009, 12:10:52 PM »
      So then VBScript,Perl, JavaScript,Python, etc. are not programming languages either?

the fact is, the Command-line does NOT have it's own language. it has a Syntax, and that's it. the syntax is simple- Command <arguments>. No parsing of the arguments is done by the command interpreter- it is all just passed onto the program. The fact that Batch is not merely a collection of these statements (as you can place grouping code and gotos, as well as labels and other features that work exclusively in batch.

[/color]

I'd imagine he did something like this:

Code: [Select]
      ren file.com file.exe

The thing is, that executable will only work in pure DOS- Windows will complain about an invalid image, since a COM file does not have the MZ at the start that a EXE file would. DOS doesn't check.

You can have supporting files in batch as well, so I'm not sure how the argument that having various supporting files really comes into play.

90% of all programming languages store their code in text files, so I don't see how this is even an argument.

good point, this is like decide whether a Avacado is a fruit or vegetable.

but for now BATCH is a Semi-language.

Dias de verano

« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2009, 12:21:40 PM »

That is meaningless. It is a language, just like Perl and BASIC and Smalltalk and Ruby and lots of others. Limited, yes, but still a language for all that.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      « Reply #37 on: February 11, 2009, 01:08:16 PM »
      the line between fruits and vegetables is quite well set.

A fruit is actually the sweet, ripened ovary or ovaries of a seed-bearing plant. A vegetable, in contrast, is an herbaceous plant cultivated for an edible part (seeds, roots, stems, leaves, bulbs, tubers, or nonsweet fruits). So, to be really nitpicky, a fruit could be a vegetable, but a vegetable could not be a fruit.

in any case...

No such thing as a semi-language.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #38 on: February 11, 2009, 03:41:26 PM »

Glad to see this thread is becoming fruitful.
      However, it still needs more meant.
         ;D

macdad-

Expert

« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2009, 05:16:44 PM »

A fruit is actually the sweet, ripened ovary or ovaries of a seed-bearing plant. A vegetable, in contrast, is an herbaceous plant cultivated for an edible part (seeds, roots, stems, leaves, bulbs, tubers, or nonsweet fruits). So, to be really nitpicky, a fruit could be a vegetable, but a vegetable could not be a fruit.

in any case...

No such thing as a semi-language.

i know, but its undecided so its a definite maybe, until we all come to a conclusion.

Dias de verano

« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2009, 12:17:45 AM »
        i know, but its undecided so its a definite maybe, until we all come to a conclusion.

No maybe about it. What a bunch of *censored*. You seem to be treating it as a matter of opinion or belief, similiar to such discussion topics as "Does God exist?" or "what is the best football team?". The truth is, it is a matter of fact, like such topics as "Is Spanish classified among the Romance languages?".
        « Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 12:34:55 AM by Dias de verano »

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        « Reply #41 on: February 12, 2009, 12:21:24 AM »
        they're "Batch is a language" Agnostic...

that's like being, "rabbit agnostic"  Do rabbits exist?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #42 on: February 12, 2009, 12:55:49 AM »
        BATCH does not exits. I am running Windows XP and I did a search for BATCH.EXE and it was not there. Brut I did find a folder named BATCH, but it was empty. Therefore, BATCH can be a folder, but that does not prove it has some other form of existence.

All of this stuff is is in your head. Get a life. BATCH is not doing your work because there is no such thing as BATCH that you can invoke, employ, beg or supplicate. It is a figment of your imagination. COMMAND.COM has been doing your work all this time and you insist on calling him BATCH. His name was never BATCH. His name is COMMAND.COM and is kind is CMD.EXE and both are part of Windows.
        Go ahead, try to RUN BATCH. Windows with tell you the truth. There is no BATCH. Your blind faith in BATCH is mistaken.  :'(

Dias de verano

« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2009, 01:55:46 AM »
        Geek-9PM, this thread has had me wondering whether you are an idiot or a troll, and I must say that your last post does not make it any easier to decide.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        « Reply #44 on: February 12, 2009, 02:09:30 AM »
        Considering there also is no "VISUALBASIC.EXE" then visual basic does not exist. There also isn't a "VBSCRIPT.EXE" but rather a "WSCRIPT" that runs BOTH VBScript and JavaScript just as CMD runs both BAT and CMD files, and yet you don't see anybody trying to say that VBScript and JavaScript are really WSCRIPT- likely because they aren't trying to win a losing war.

Facts state otherwise. Get over it. Batch has features the command processor cannot use except within a batch file, and as such is a superset of the "command-line" language of which you say it is. However, a Superset of a language is a completely different language in and of itself.