Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Epic hardware upgrade tragedy  (Read 3458 times)

Oren M

Epic hardware upgrade tragedy
« on: April 24, 2005, 11:23:40 AM »
Hello,
This question pertains to my computer and my problems upgrading it. I currently have 512MB DDR400/PC3200 RAM and have wanted to upgrade. So I purchased a stick of RAM that met the specifications (I used EVEREST software to determine the exact type) and installed it. I did not do a BIOS check because i did not know about it. Things seemed to work better though i did not notice a huge increase in performance, i did notice however, that programs would crash more and more often. The most demanding programs (Games) would have a 15minute shelf-life before crashing to the desktop. I decided to take the new stick of RAM out and see, and alas there were no problems. I also noticed that the computer still thought it had 1GB of RAM. I then bought another stick of RAM from Crucial, and the same problem took place. I tried using one stick, but the crucial one, and the problems persisted. I also tried to install another hard-drive, and the same problems came up "System has recovered from serious error". I am thinking maybe my power supply is too weak, but i am simply confused. Hopefully you all know.

Thanks