Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Installing Dos 6.22  (Read 9555 times)

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

Re: Installing Dos 6.22
    « Reply #15 on: February 11, 2009, 11:24:47 AM »
     ??? ???
    Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

Dias de verano

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2009, 11:41:35 AM »
    i see if I installed like 2k would I be able to like update iut to the 6.22 version?

1. What purpose does the word 'like' serve in that sentence?

2. What does "like 2k" mean?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #17 on: February 11, 2009, 11:46:02 AM »
    i see if I installed like 2k would I be able to like update iut to the 6.22 version?

1. What purpose does the word 'like' serve in that sentence?

2. What does "like 2k" mean?

answers!

1. every phrase Squall says MUST be a simile.

2. who knows?

No. Windows NT command prompt <> a version of DOS.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2009, 11:53:43 AM »
      I mean such as it could be like xp or anything that is windows.
      Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      « Reply #19 on: February 11, 2009, 11:57:14 AM »
      No.

you need a Previous version of DOS. I'll explain what previous means. Before. NOT after.

BUT... you don't have a previous version. your back at square one.

And don't pull that old, "well, XP and 2000 say version 5" yes they do. of windows. In fact... I found it humorous that it was even considered a viable course of action.

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2009, 12:10:33 PM »
        all i am saing is cant I just update that version?  Its like 5 or something. 

Dias de verano

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2009, 12:18:54 PM »
        what's with all this "5 or something"? 5 what? 5 little piggies?

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2009, 12:21:04 PM »
          the verison like 5.1 or something like that.

Dias de verano

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2009, 12:24:04 PM »
          the verison like 5.1 or something like that.

What's with all this "something like that"? What is it exactly?

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2009, 12:30:53 PM »
            cause I'm not sure what version they have built into my copy of 2k.

Dias de verano

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2009, 12:34:43 PM »
            cause I'm not sure what version they have built into my copy of 2k.

Win 2k has not got any kind of MS-DOS that you can use. You were told that "like" 10 posts ago.

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2009, 12:41:19 PM »
              well if I click run then type cmd what is that then?

Dias de verano

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2009, 12:58:53 PM »

cmd.exe is Windows command line. Not MS-DOS.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                • Yes
                • Yes
                • BC-Programming.com
              « Reply #28 on: February 11, 2009, 01:02:27 PM »

It's called the windows command interpreter. try doing a VER. see anything about DOS anywhere in there?

I find the fact that you actually think there is any interchangability between DOS 6, released in 1993 (or thereabouts) and Windows 2000, released in windows 2000. Yes, it's an "upgrade" to go back 7 years.

perhaps try reading some posts. see this?

And don't pull that old, "well, XP and 2000 say version 5" yes they do. of windows. In fact... I found it humorous that it was even considered a viable course of action.

the windows NT architecture has NOTHING in common with MS-DOS. don't delude yourself into thinking otherwise.

the file you downloaded, allegedly from Microsoft - is 100% positive to be the MS-DOS stepup files. for a PREVIOUS version of MS-DOS. Now, I've already Defined what "Previous" means, as in Released before the OS it's upgrading. DOS 5 was released BEFORE DOS 6, but windows 2000 (which you claim has DOS) Is WINDOWS version 5 see the difference?

DOS != Windows Dos is NOT Windows. Quit confusing the two.

the steps you need to take are as follows:

Get a PREVIOUS version of MS-DOS, 4,5, or 6 would be ideal (to drive the point home it is NOT windows, so no more of this "can I install and upgrade win2k to DOS 6.22  :-*"  the idea is ridiculous at it's very core. Once you get this version of MS-DOS:

Install It. Note that this should generally be a simple task, involving booting from the setup disk, and inserting the next disk in the sequence when prompted.

Once it is installed onto the HD (which you will likely need to fdisk before hand, BTW) you can *THEN* proceed to run the DOS 6.22 step-up. let's define step-up... as in, a Step, UP, from something. that something is a previous version of MS-DOS.

Also, don't say anything dumb like, "well, what if I install like win98"...

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2009, 01:04:27 PM »
                oh okay sorry just getting the hang of it.  he may go over the installation today any way.  Hopefully.