Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: RE-installing a Visioneer 7600 scanner  (Read 3863 times)

James K. Lewis

RE-installing a Visioneer 7600 scanner
« on: April 25, 2005, 12:15:08 PM »
I've had the Visioneer 7600 scanner operating (perfectly) on THIS machine for several years.  Recently, I had to reinstall all software, and now the scanner refuses to find its driver.  It suggests that I unload some programs and try again.  

This is a low-RAM machine (64MB) and I don't HAVE lots of extras loaded.  But even when I unload my virus program, I get the same message.

Details:

1.  I have REinstalled the scanner, then COMPLETELY removed it (including cleaning up the Registry), and then reinstalled again.  I've done this 2-3 times.

2.  Device manager and cameras/scanners in Control Panel say the driver is correctly installed and functional.

3. When I load the scanner, the machine finds the scanner and puts it in my tray, but when I try to scan, copy, or other, it  warms up the lamp, then is unable to find the driver.  That's when it suggests that I unload other "running" programs.

4.  I have found new drivers for the scanner.  Same result.  I have found "alternative" drivers.  Same result, so I go back to the original installation disk.  Same result.

5. The Visioneer home page is useless (except for finding a new driver -- which turns out to be useless, too).  They have NO e-mail support -- but do have a 900 phone number.  :-/  BTW, the 7600 is no longer on the market.

What might I do next?  EVERYTHING else runs fine.

HP Pavillion 6645C

Jim Lewis - [email protected]

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: RE-installing a Visioneer 7600 scanner
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2005, 12:55:27 PM »
Hi Jim... I'm a little concerned for two reasons... (1) This is a low RAM machine... Which operating system are you using? (2) Why were you forced to uninstall the drivers in the first place?

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Computer_Commando

« Last Edit: April 25, 2005, 03:34:18 PM by Computer_Commando »

Jim Lewis

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2005, 02:00:03 PM »
W98 SE, with all the updates and fixes M'soft can think of.
Dunno what the problem was.  Computer wouldn't boot.  I assumed a virus of some sort, but Anti-Vir was freshly updated (every Friday).  This happend on a Saturday (but I'd been using the new v-definition files and had rebooted a coupel of times).  So?????

This is the exact configuration I had when the scanner worked great for 4 years.  If anything, I have less installed now than then.

The Visioneer is USB, and all the USP ports/controllers (whatever) check out OK, too.  Cables are tight.  As I said, W98 seems to find the machine enough to put it in my taskbar, but loses it again when I try to use it.

Hopefully (tho new scanners don't cost THAT much) . . .

Jim

Jim Lewis

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2005, 03:44:46 PM »
Yes.  Have been to all those links, have downloaded the driver, have followed all of those steps (SEVERAL times!) and still can't get the &^%$ thing to work.

Thanks.

jim

Computer_Commando

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2005, 04:24:52 PM »
You've tried everything I can think of.  It is possible that the scanner is partially dead.  The only thing left to do is try the scanner on another computer.

It could be a Win98 issue.  Win98 doesn't always plug 'n play as it should.  BTW, 64MB on Win98 is sufficient.

Jim Lewis

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2005, 05:42:17 PM »
Yeah, 64 MB is "sufficient" but I should have more.

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I'd about figured the same thing, so it's back to CompUSA (or somewhere).

jim :'(