Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Wireless N card need new router  (Read 2356 times)

aggie-61

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Wireless N card need new router
    « on: February 16, 2009, 05:08:10 PM »
    I recently purchased a new Dell Laptop with the wireless N card.  I need to purchase a wireless router to hook up to my cable modem.  Once I hook this up is the wireless secure or does it give everyone a chance to snoop on my computer?  What do I need to do to be secure and not seen?
    What do you suggest for the wireless router?

Thanks for any help for the old man.

guardian

Beginner

Re: Wireless N card need new router
      « Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 01:15:03 PM »
      If you are not to technically savvy I recommend D-Link wireless routers.  In my area they are normally cheaper and easier to setup.  Otherwise myself I like to use Linksys products.

As for security one you hook the wireless router to the cable modem things are secured through the wire.  What that means is that your wireless is still WIDE OPEN.  You will want to log into the new router/wireless router and change your log on information and setup the type of security you want.  WPA is a very commonly used security option, easy to setup, and provides more security than WEP. 

I hope this was of some help or at least gets you into the right direction.